Sleeping on Prednisolone

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I don't seem to be getting much luck in responses recently.  Hopefully this one someone way be able to help with?

Just started prednisolone for 9 weeks (tapering) again and already struggling with sleeping. 

I am really tired but then for example last night i had about 1 hours sleep as i was lying wide awake and constantly up to the bathroom. 

This is a side effect i know but wondering if anyone has any remedies etc they can suggest to help sleep?

TIA Carrie x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have trouble sleeping most nights. I have recently stopped 8 weeks Prednisolone tapering but don't believe that had anything to do with sleep problem! In fact I felt so much better when on it, especially first few weeks. I think my sleeping problem is down to other meds I take for my UC which have many side effects, one of those being unbearable restless leg Syndrome! Perhaps you should discuss your other meds with your doctor? I'm continuing with my medication as it helps with the UC, but I'm slowly being driven mad with the night pain in my legs! Horrible situation I know but the alternative is unthinkable! I was also sleeping badly before the steroid use! I try getting as much exercise as I can, fresh air, reading in bed, not using screens late evening, not eating after 6pm, you name it, I've tried it!

I def think you should talk to your doctor soon, sleep deprivation is so bad for you.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks Ruari. 

I don’t usually have a problem sleeping. It’s just these last few days with having a flare, yesterday was day 1 of steroids. I am very tired but couldn’t sleep. I wake up after a few minutes of sleeping expecting to have been asleep hours.

I have just asked my IBD nurses if they can recommend anything but wondered if anyone has experience of their own. 

Thanks again for your response. 

• Posted

Hi Carrie 

I was on pred for 9 months I had all of side affects the sleep deprivation hot sweats and the pains all over but my legs the most it's really horrible I know if it's working for the flare you will have to roll with it but if not then speak to your doctor .. I would say the same walks fresh air early nights and lavender on your pillow I hope you find time to sleep I was a new mummy too so I found I just slept more in the day rather than night x good luck 

• Posted

Sorry Rachelle, only just seen this message for some reason. I’m almost 3 weeks into steroids now and sleep is getting worse. 

I getting afew hours a night. Thankfully not having to get up in the night anymore as steroids seems to have eased the symptoms.

Lack of sleep is really getting to me. I’m so tired.

I get to sleep no problem but within afew hours I’m awake again. Usually around 1am and that’s it. I’m awake and cannot ger back to sleep. 

I’ve tried herbal nightol, hot milk before bed, anti hystomeines and nothing has worked. 

I can’t manage another 6 weeks of this so will have to see the doctober about it probably. 

Thanks for your reply. x

• Posted

Oh it's so rubbish I know and feel your pain broken sleep comes hand in hand with the steroids 😩 I hope either the next 6 weeks fly for you or yes speak with your doctor.. x good luck and keep us posted x 

• Posted

Really sorry to hear this is happening to you! I just started an 8 week course of prednisolone last Monday and have been struggling with sleep the past couple of nights. 

I think anything that distracts you from your symptoms and helps encourage a peaceful sleep is worth trying. I bought ear plugs and all I hear is my breathing which is quite soothing! I also have a hot water bottle which helps soothe my aches and pains but it's like the heat soothes me. I've also put on relaxing music before (rain sounds, chillout piano - you know the type!) which sometimes seems to help.

It is a big side effect, you may need to speak to your doctor as I know there's other options if prednisolone doesn't agree with you. It's just unfortunate it's one of the quickest meds to start working sad all the best. x

• Posted

Thanks Steph.  I have a hot water bottle I use most nights. Thankfully the pain has now gone now which is because of steroids so I really shouldn’t complain. 

It’s so difficult when your tired but can’t sleep.

I will give the musics a try thank you. Most nights the rain bangs on the window already. Great British weather. 😂??

Hope you feel better soon. x

• Posted

I know, prednisolone is a pain in the asssss but it works! Glad you're feeling better 🙂 X

• Posted

Hi carrie303 - I have been on Pred 3/4 times now after being in hospital for a flare up, firstly having intravenous steroids and coming home with the pred.  I find that taking them in a morning is better for me (I was told by the IBD nurses that they could keep you awake if you took them at night) however I still wake up at silly o'clock and put my earphone in with an audio book that I know really well so dont really have to pay attention to it and I find that the voice lulls me back to sleep.? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.