Sleeping positions

Posted , 5 users are following.

Any good ideas re sleeping positions i wake up constantly in the night and can't stand the twisted cramping type pain.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I found that I lay on the side of my bad shoulder, however found that I could get comfortable by crossing my arm up across my body and resting my hand on my shoulder.  Before I had my hydrodilation, I was on Orimorph for the pain. 
  • Posted

Sorry, no good position ideas. I hear a lot of people say to put a pillow under your arm to raise it up but it doesn't work for me. Unfortunately I have FS in both shoulders and I'm a side sleeper. The only thing that sort of works is sleeping in my recliner chair. That way I can't toss and turn onto my shoulder, not  great nights sleep though. 

Good luck with it all. 

• Posted

Yes, sleeping can be a challenge....I had to work on "teaching" myself to try to sleep on my back, as laying on the frozen shoulder was super painful, and laying on my other side would lead to pain in my Frozen shoulder as well. I got a couple of pillows of varying plumpness and experimented with laying on my back in a semi propped up way. As my shoulder started thawing, I was able to roll partially to each side for a bit, using the extra pillows for support. Burtpies idea of sleeping in a recliner would be an option too...

Good luck.

• Posted

With my first (very painful) frozen shoulder I couldn't sleep on either side - my preferred positions.  The bad side just hurt too much and if I tried to sleep on the good side,I couldn't find a comfortable position for my bad arm, which still ached.  I couldn't sleep well on my back but ended up getting one of those big V-shaped pillows - sold at Dunelm or similar bedding shops in the UK, or sometimes advertised as nursing pillows for breast feeling mums.   I found if I was propped up with the V-pillow in a semi-sitting position with a soft feather pillow under and moulded round my bad arm, I could eventually get a little sleep - it was the least uncomfortable position I could find.  

As my shoulder was getting better (but before I could sleep entirely on that side) I slept on my good side and tucked the corner of my duvet under my bad arm - i.e. the main part was behind me coming over the shoulder from the back, then tucked under the top of the arm at the front,  It sounds odd but it stopped my bad arm from flopping about and causing problems.  I also had a pillow in front of me, for support.

Good luck, I know how painful it can be and lack of sleep just makes things worse.  Hope you get some relief soon.

• Posted

Julie- did you get to the emergency room yet? How are things since the last time you messaged here?
    • Posted

No i didn't but doc gave me 7 days of valium so at least sleeping better. Went to physio and he did some dry needling and that helped . Been off work and go back tomorrow 🤤 have to its a new job only been there 3 weeks and been off 1/2 of that 😢

• Posted

Ahhh good at least you got your Valium . And good the needling helped

So sounds like it's not as bad as it was? You 'sound' better today by way of email haha.

Take care and good luck at new job. They must be understanding!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.