Sleeping tablets

Posted , 5 users are following.

At the ripe old age of 81 would it be harmful if I were to take half a tablet of Zopiclone each night in order to avoid waking up after 2 or 3 hours and being unable to get back to sleep.  I do take them occasionally but not very often.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bianca,

I'd advise against taking them every single night, even at 81. The problem with this is that it's easy to develop tolerance to zopiclone, or any other sleeping pill. After a few months, half a tablet would no longer be enough, and after another few months it would stop working altogether. Then you'd have to switch to another pill, only to go through the whole process again. Also, once you get onto higher doses of any sleeping drug, this increases the risk of falls if you have to get up in the night.

Why not keep the zopiclone just for nights when you really need to sleep well? I mean before a journey or a particularly busy day. I do this, though I take an antihistamine, not a sleeping pill. (But you can develop tolerance to antihistamines too if you take them every night.)

Most of us find we don't need as much sleep as we get older anyway. I'm not suggesting for a moment that there's nothing going on in your life just because you're 81. I'm 73 myself and still have quite a busy life. However, I still feel you'd do better just having zopiclone as a back-up, which you know will give you a decent night's sleep when you really need it, rather than becoming dependent on it.

• Posted

Hi bianca ,try drinking 300 ml of lukewarm baffelo milk mixed well with a half spoon turmeric powder,one hour before bed.This keeps you stay asleep till morning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.