Sleeping with head of bed raised

Posted , 5 users are following.

Have any of you who tried raising the head of your bed up found that you couldn't sleep on the raised bed? I tried first of all sleeping with my bed raised by 7" and I kept sliding down the bed during the night. I was waking up with hip and back pain and my bladder would burn. After a couple of nights I gave up trying to sleep with the bed that high and lowered it down to 4". I still had the same problem so now I've got my bed down to 2.5" and that seems to be okay for me to sleep. Is it just me or is anyone else finding that they can't sleep with their bed raised. Everything I'm reading says that it is important to sleep with the bed raised. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I did slide down too.

It takes getting use to. I am the one who couldnt sleep unless horizontal in bed.

At times of being really ill with many symptoms i fell asleep in any position just to get some rest and comfort and trust me that many nights were in armchair.

Sleep is important and so is preventing reflux. Anything u can do naturally to allow yr body to heal up is great help.

If positioning u is difficult for u have u tried the diet and 3 hours dry stomach before sleep? What else do u do to help yrself?

• Posted

I'm doing a strict acid reflux diet and don't eat in the evening most nights. Occasionally I'll have yogurt 2 to 3 hours before going to bed. I've also stopped laying down in the evening to watch TV. I was taking Gaviscon liquid every night before bed but found that after a week it was making me very tired during the day so I've stopped taking it as of yesterday. I'm also chewing gum after every meal as some people claim that helps.  

• Posted

Have a look into low carbs diet. It helps ppl with reflux too.

Have u had a scope or any other tests?

• Posted

I have an appointment with an ENT but it's not until the end of July. So right now I'm reading everything I can and hoping that I can fix this on my own. 

I was reading yesterday about low carb and acid reflux. Right now I'm doing low fat and so far it seems to be helping. 

• Posted

Yes, I have a very hard time sleeping on my wedge pillow. It was only shoulder surgery that forced me into submission.
    • Posted

I was considering getting a wedge pillow but from reading the reviews, I gather people have just as many problems with those as do people sleeping on a raised bed. 
    • Posted

Yes, I don't imagine that it's much different - especially if you are a side sleeper. I was told not to sleep on my right side but my surgery is on my left side. Dealing with GERD and shoulder surgery is a juggling act, let me tell you. 

• Posted

I've been trying to sleep on my left side only but my face is getting some serious wrinkling happening. frown I don't want a lopsided looking face so I'm back to alternating sides to keep everything even. biggrin

• Posted

Hi,

After sleeping for years sitting upright with lots of pillows and a V pillow, I finally had Fundiplication on June 8th two years ago.. I now sleep normally with two pillows..

I've always had back problems ie slight scoliosis so sleeping sat up or laying flat I'm in pain but no reflux is making sleeping that much better..

Regards

Margaret

• Posted

I sleep on wedge I make myself using pillows of different thickness...it is trail and error and every time I change the pillowcases/sheets... I try and remember what order of pillows I used....not always successfully.lol 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.