Sleeping with pillow between legs

Posted , 14 users are following.

i am 10ish weeks post op. Still sleeping with pillow between legs when on my side.   Do other hippies think this is necessary ? I forgot to ask the doctor at my final outpatient appointment. Is the pillow thing something that needs to continue forever? 

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was told that the pillow between the legs helps keep you, while sleeping, from preventing you from having the knee hit the mattress while on your side and the possibility of crossing your legs over and keeping the hip aligned. There's no harm keeping it there if you're comfortable and want to aire on the side of caution. But removing it at this point is probably no problem.

• Posted

Every doctor and every PT staff voice different thoughts on this darn pillow thing.  My doctor says if I must get off my back and sleep on my side, I should sleep on the operated side with the pillow between my knees and ankles and this is FOREVER.  SO,  I Have trained myself to sleep on my back only.
  • Posted

Hi Chris I would probably stick with using the pillow between my legs for the 3 month restriction period that is the standard here in Canada/B.C. -I could be wrong- I thought it was to prevent the hip from being displaced. I find that the pillow between my legs still helps me be more comfortable. Like some others it is still painful and uncomfortable on my back but also so on my sides, pillows or not. I think the physio U.S. Actually more helpful for the post surgery tips than some surgeons in my opinion.
  • Posted

Just decreases the pull on your hip..I would try it,might try a skinny pillow 1st and see how your body does.If that is ok then go without it entirely.Then see how it feels,if ok,that's your answer

• Posted

Yes.  I agree with the skinny pillow.  The thinner pillow works best for added comfort.
  • Posted

hi Chris

I am 6 weeks with a new hip and have been sleeping with a back rest. I read about using a back rest on another forum a few days after coming home. It immediately relieved the pain in my operated leg. I pile pillows onto the backrest and I love it.  For the last few nights I have been able to sleep lying flat on my back with no pain but not all night. I get up and rearrange the bed with the backrest back in place and my comfortable pillows in place.   I found that sleeping flat on my back when I returned from hospital caused much pain in the operated thigh muscles especially at the front and I was using an ice pack all night and also taking codeine.  With a backrest I am painfree.  My physio is happy with this. I have been advised not to raise my operated leg while I sleep so I dont use a pillow under my knees.   I keep my leg straight with toes straight and not going to one side.  my new joint is uncemented and I have been weight bearing since the operation. Yesterday I went for a walk with no crutch and no walking stick, for the first time. Only a week ago I was exhausted all the time and only taking short walks with a crutch.   I am now limited by my unoperated hip.

• Posted

.... oh, I forgot to add that I sleep with a pillow between my legs which I understand keeps the pelvis and hips in line. during the day when I lie down to watch tv or read I use a firm yoga block between my thighs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.