Sleepless in Sussex.

Posted , 10 users are following.

With another sleepless night ahead, can anyone suggest how I can get some sleep whilst taking 60mg prednisolone? 

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have too much time on my hands.  This afternoon I looked back through my trail on this forum and found a comment I'd entirely forgotten, which was that a little helping of yoghurt helped me get a good night's sleep.  Interesting that lately I've become bored with the usual snack I'd been having with my calcium and started just having a large spoonful of plain yoghurt instead.  I'm all in favour of avoiding medications which may lead to more side effects and health issues.  Good luck, all you night owls!?🌙

• Posted

That is exactly how I take my prednisone also. Always with a large glass of water followed by a big spoonful of Wegmans Probiotic organic yoghurt. Good stuff!
  • Posted

I can't GET to sleep. Once I'm asleep I'm usually fine, but I toss and turn and twitch for a couple of hours. It's got to the point I dread going to bed, but going later doesn't stop the process, it just starts later and I end up with even less sleep!

I work full time so I HAVE to get to bed at a reasonable time or I'm a total mess the next day.

• Posted

Like other here have said it is a problem a lot of us have. I've never been on 60 mg. My god I was crazy on 20 mg so I can't even image how bad I would be in your position. I was already taking valuim as needed so I just started taking the valuim at bedtime. If you don't have a prescription for something like that, you might want try Benadryl. It is the active ingrediate in the PM medicines out there like tylenol PM.

• Posted

Benadryl in the USA and Canada and Benadryl in the UK are different substances. The active substances used in the UK are acrivastine (non-sedating) and cetrizine (said to be non-sedating but it does depend on the person).

So, be warned - Benadryl ISN'T a universal panacea for not sleeping and the active substance used in the USA is potentially addictive. 

• Posted

Really? Well, I've just learnt something new. lol

Why not just buy an OTC sleep aid? Doxylamine? (known in Australia as Restavit)

• Posted

Benadryl in the form they have in the USA is also potentially addictive if it is taken in larger amounts - not least because it can give a high. That's why the substance in it is different in the UK - and judging by what I can find online also in Australia.

So, Benadryl may help you sleep if you buy it in the US and Canada, but not anywhere else. 

• Posted

I don't believe in these sleep aids.  I've been an intermittent insomniac all my life (remember many hours as a child telling myself stories, looking at the moon coming in through my window, playing with stuffed animals, as a teenager chasing my favourite songs on the many many radio stations you could capture in the middle of the night, as an adult getting up and reading or doing puzzles, in fact I found Patient in the middle of a sleepless night, etc, etc) and for about a year now, taking a calcium supplement near bedtime, I can't stay awake.

• Posted

Also, Benadryl (U.S. version) has been linked to Alzheimers with longtern use. In my case, as mentioned earlier, it has the opposite effect - keeps me up all night after an initial 1-2 hours sleep.
    • Posted

So have a lot of other things we are handed out like sweeties...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.