Sleepless Nights

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had an estradiol prescription to refill and was told I had to take a lower dose . Dr. Would not refill my dose I felt great on due to my age. She reduced it by 25% and after a month I have been exhausted due to waking up in the middle of the night.

What can I do to? Refuse to take sleeping pills or antidepressants that I know have bad side effects?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Just curious Jean, but how old are you and what dose and form were you taking?  
    • Posted

A little more info, last year my Dr. placed a Mirena IUD after 3 years of irregular bleeding and 2 D&C's. It worked perfectly. I then was prescribed a 1mg estradiol patch to balance the progesterone. I was 69. I am now 70. Thanks for asking the details.

• Posted

Wow Jean, you were on the high end of the bell curve.  No doubt the lowed RX is changing your sleep pattern.  

I guess my thought is, if things felt right and you were doing really well with the RX where it was at, stay with it.  However, your doctor is following a prescribed thought that a women of 70 doesn't need that much estrogen.  Not saying he's right, but that's the line of thinking.  Over time your body should adjust to the lowered dose.  However quality of life is really important.  I'd keep some notes and chat with your doctor about it.   

• Posted

Hi and I appreciate your response. Did some research and found that women in Sweeden are taking HR well into their 80's because it makes them feel better. I agree that I am going through withdrawal, but why do it? Haven't found any studies done in the US. for older women even in their late 60's. I feel that medicine has forgotten about the baby boomer women.

Seems a little political. My mother never discussed this with me as I imagine many mothers did not. 

If I continue to have sleep problems, I may get to the point of exhaustion. Will have to see how it goes. I have an appointment with my Dr. to see how I am doing. Thanks for your advise.

• Posted

It is annoying when something that is working for you is adjusted and causes you distress.

I have had some success in the past with passionflower tablets taken in the evening. (The instructions says may cause drowsiness.) And I take magnesium at bedtime and Vit D3. Magnesium is said to have a relaxing effect. And many other benefits.

Are you waking due to night sweats? Or a busy mind? My Pilates teacher taught us a breathing technique, In for 4, hold for 4 and out for 4. This sometimes helps me drift off again. 

Hope you find something to help you soon. x

• Posted

Hi there, thank you for sharing your breathing technique, I have used that in the past and have found it to be very helpful. I do not get night sweats, just upper body heat after dinner until I go to bed around 10:30pm. I must be waking up from a busy mind. Have no idea why I am waking up, so I get annoyed which does not help matters. I am now working on acceptance instead of annoyance and adding breathing to get back to sleep. I really appreciate this forum. The subject seems to be not too popular with my girl friends who say they have no problems with sleeping. Mostly complaints about "running hot". I'll let you know how it goes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.