Sleeve or Bypass?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm due to have surgery within the next few months at Luton. I was set on having a gastric bypass, however, after researching further I'm swaying towards the possiblily of a sleeve. I'm terrified of needles (despite being a type 1 diabetic for 30 years, the irony!) and I'm aware that with the bypass 4 deep muscle injections a year are needed to top up the body with the nutrients it misses out on due to the bypass. I know which ever surgery I opt for I will need to take a daily vitamin.

I've read that the bypass has a higher rate of weight loss, however, am I correct in thinking that the sleeve will allow a more 'normal' diet with smaller portions?

I understand which ever surgery I choose there will be dramatic lifestyles changes.

I am already on the 'milk diet' and in 10 days have managed to lose a stone, at my next appointment (June) I will have been on the milk diet for 5 and half weeks (I thought it would only be 4).

At my next appointment I will speak to the obesity team more about which surgery to opt for as I always have lots of questions.

Can anyone please give me their opinions on which surgery to opt for and their choices to the one they chose? A band is not an option for me.

Thanks in advance smile

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

How did everyone cope on the milk diet? 2.5 weeks in and I'm coping surprisingly well, the only thing I cannot stand is the salty drink, I'm really struggling with that. I have made milk jelly with sugar free veggie jelly a few times for something different. I don't really like fizzy drink and as for sugar free etc sweetners are the most vile thing ever to have been invented. I think I'm just going to survive on milk and herbal teas, decaf coffee and decaf tea etc.
    • Posted

Hi Beano, I made the salty drinks out of slim a soup x2 stock cubes boiling water ,put through sieve had it in a soup bowl 2 days for dinner, it was quite filling.x

• Posted

I've not been told I can use soup. It says on the information leaflet a salty drink like bovril etc. I'm just finding that hard work as I'm gagging with it. I'm not hungry either. Since doing the LCLD I've hardly any energy compared to normal and actually feel lazy which I'm not liking as I am quite an active person. I know this part is relatively short term. I'm missing my veg haha smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.