Sliding hiatus hernia

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with a 3cm sliding hiatus hernia, I've been quite ill being sick everyday, and a feeling of a tennis ball in my sternum, I feel really fed up ,my gastrointestinal consultant says it's too small to cause sickness to this extent, I've had a ultra sound to look for gallstones but the gallbladder was clear now I'm waiting for ct scan, I've just had enough and am convinced it's the hernia causing these problems, I also have a dry tickley cough mainly at night , I only eat small amounts and non spicy or fatty foods and dairy but it makes no difference please help x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen

you are not alone. I have a 6cm sliding hernia which I have had for many years and have symptoms much like yours. Some days worse than others. I sometimes feel like I have been punched right where the solar plexus is. I also get sick and feel like I have something stuck in my throat.  Lansoprazole helps a little. I have learnt to live with it but it is not always easy. Hang in there and see what the CT scan reveals. Hopefully you will get some answers. It is surgery next for me but at the moment I really don't want to go that route

• Posted

Hello Karen,

I was diagnosed with Hiatal Hernia some 3 years ago. I have the same symptoms as you do in the last 3 years and I am still learning to manage. There are bouts of anxiety and panic at times and a little frustration. I have learned from the gastro that this is a natural reaction- he said that a physician he knows still panics at times. On really bad days, I have chest muscle pains. I take Dexilant 60 when symptoms are bad and just simply watch my diet closely. This forum reassures me that I am not alone and sometimes, having someone to converse with virtually helps allay some fears or mitigate the panic. Nevetheless, a professional advice from gastro or GP is still be th best option. Good luck

• Posted

Hiya

I had a 2cm hernia and suffered really bad for 8 years. I finally had the nissen fundoplication and had a 360 wrap and they repaired the hernia and it was the best thing I ever did.

I did a lot of research before the op as I don't think it works for everyone.

Lx

• Posted

Why did you cut out certain foods? gas ? bloating? when was your last colonoscopy? Do you have any signs of a partial intestinal blockage? and Do you consume a lot of hi fructise corn syrup? if so look up S.I.B.O. and hi fructose corn syrup.  I was at my wits end and thought my sprite was helping me, but Drs thought the carbonation was a root cause of pain and bloating......it wasnt the carbonation it WAS the corn syrup. but now to see what caused the SIBO, was or is it scar tissue from the mesh? or just SIBO from the surgery 11 years ago and I have been keeping it all alive with Corn syrup.
  • Posted

Karen everything your saying I have gone through I would throw up anything to do with meat they even took my gallbladder out telling me it wasn't a for sure thing that my gallbladder was bad after I had it out I still had the pain they told me it was phantom pain they were full of bs b3 yrs later I now have a 5 in hiatal hernia and I just found out that I not have an upside down stomach never heard of that so my surgery was April 25 and they called me today and moved it up I don't care what the dr says I had the same thing when I had my gallbladder out the dr said I had a small hernia well now it's huge but not I can burp or throw up it's horrible find a new dr and how did you find out you had 1 its the worst feeling in the world I no exactly how your feeling upside down stomach in when your stomach in in your chest I'm scared to death but I can't Waite they called me today and moved the surgery to march 25 thank god....I hope you find someone to treat  you it will only get worse trust me on that sweats are the worst for me I feel like I can't breath like I have a chest infection bread is bad also 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.