Slient reflux with one main symptom?

Posted , 3 users are following.

HI everyone

Is there anyone else in the same boat as me with silent reflux who doesn't feel the acid, doesn't get any pain in chest, doesn't get indigestion or lumps in throat but does have issues with breathing?

I've had this for about 5 years but quite intermittantly until the last 9 months when it has been a constant but at different levels.

I have times when i can't get a full breath but more and more frequent times of the feeling like someone is standing on my windpipe making breathing a challenge, like breathing through a straw when you are squeezing it. It comes and goes but nothing i seem to do stops it, apart from lying propped up on my left hand side sometimes. I was seeing a physio who said it is vocal cord dysfunction from the silent reflux but nobody has ever confirmed it and nothing i do makes it better, it just gets worse. I'm on a really low acid diet and have been for 4 weeks now but it is not really helping.

I'm due a gastropcopy in just over a week and i hope they find somethng so i can look to then put it right but it's really affecting my life now. It spoils holidays as is affecting everything i do sad 

The only other mild symptom i have is phelgm in the back of my throat.

I have been on Omeprazole and more lately Emozol but have now stopped in prep for my gastropcopy.

Anyone else in the same boat?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes I had wheezing and chronic cough until one day it got worse and I could actually feel the acid in my throat. Have you done a laryngoscopy to see if there is something else that might be causing you those symptoms
    • Posted

Got an appointment in the ENT clinic but not till Nov!  I had a check in Oct but the doctor didn;t seem to listen to me at all.
  • Posted

Hi,

I have breathing problems as well with regular chest pain, not heartburn or cardio related.  For 2 yars they told me it was the MILD reflux and MILD gastritis I had but now they are saying is not related even if they have no asnwer as well as to why I have these symptoms.   With silent reflux in most cases you will not get heartburn because it continues to your nasals and throat. Just like you I feel like I'm breathing through a straw but in my case is now all day long unless I sleep or lay back. I also feel like it goes al the way up to my nose. I am waiting for some blood test they ran and Monday I will have my asnwers. This includes a complete food sensitivity test which I got done with a functional medicine.   Btw, Even if I have mild barrets I have decided not to take PPI's on a daily basis because I actually believe that will make things worse because I d have nornal acid levels. I truly believe stress is a BIG part of the problem and maybe a nerve issue. Soon I will have a better idea. ;-)  God Bless!

• Posted

Hope your tests went okay. I've cut back on all acid foods and it does seem that it's working now, nearly 4 weeks in. I find sometimes laying on my side with a couple of cushions under my lungs helps sometimes too.

Stress is an issue for sure! Hard not to get stressed though when you can't breathe sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.