Slight numb feeling around mouth after hit in neck

Posted , 2 users are following.

Around two months ago someone hit me directly on the right side of my neck with a plastic asian hand fan when I was not looking. My neck was in a completely relaxed state. He did not hit me extremely hard or anything but it was significant force and used his wrist in the motion. For around a week following this incident I felt a slight numbness on the right side of my face especially around my mouth. It has gotten better now but I still feel a slight numb feeling with I smile or laugh. I want to know, is this maybe just in my imagination or can one strike to the neck really cause nerve damage around the mouth? No one believes me when I say I still feel less sensation around my mouth due to this incident. Can someone who knows a lot about the nerves in my neck give me some insight? My neck also hurt to the point where I could not do pull ups or bench press for a couple of weeks. But there was not much of a mark left.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

One more thing, my hospital seems to tell me that taking a xray of my neck would be pointless. Is there anyway to prove that I suffered nerve damage?
  • Posted

An X-Ray would probably not show nerve damage.  You probably need an EMG done.  Ask your doctor if he will order one. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.