Slime build up in throat, can't swallow liquid

Posted , 5 users are following.

So this has happened to me a year earlier but this time it doesn't seem to be going away.

I do believe I have a slime/mucous buildup in the back of my throat, which causes me the occasional issue. So earlier I swallowed a barely chewed piece of meat (my own fault), and when I attempted to drink water, it got blocked by the slime buildup and I had to bring it all back up with the finger in throat method. Currently it constantly feels like there's pressure on my chest along with constantly having to go to the bathroom to get some slime out. I don't have any access to doctors at the moment due to it being late, and family members I live with are unbothered.

Any help or advice would be useful.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

if you haven't already try some tums i get this sometimes although its not as bad as yours and i have two tums and it helps

• Posted

Don't really know what tums are, don't think they have that in my country, but I also don't know if that'll help. There's a mucous barrier (as mentioned in my post) that blocks liquids.

• Posted

If this is not a very serious issue, we try to sort it out with home remedies. One of it is to use mixture of "alum" and warm water in a glass and gargle with it. In place of alum you can also use table salt. Both of them are antiseptic and are useful for minor throat issues. See if it helps you.

• Posted

Hi max40574

You may have a condition called 'Post Nasal Drip' whereby there is a build up of thick mucus between the back of the nasal passages and throat. If you go to the pharmacy you may be able to get a nasal spray to clear the mucus. I would also go see a doctor if possible to get this checked out as you may have blocked sinusis...

• Posted

I have an update to the issue. I don't think it's the slime anymore, instead I think the piece of food I didn't chew properly might be stuck in my esophagus. So far nothing I've done has worked, and I've been unable to properly sleep

• Posted

It may be that the food itself is not stuck in your throat anymore and you are experiencing this sensation because your throat is still irritated. Have you tried some milk which is very soothing for the throat and digestive tract?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.