Slipped disc

Posted , 4 users are following.

On Thursday 14th September, that morning i was picking my 2yo daughter up when my back gave out on me, had to get a passer by to put her in her seat for me. I got in the car rang doctor's waited an hour for a call back. I was then was told i needed to ring an ambulance as i couldnt move and my legs had gone numb and tingly and weak. Was left in a wheelchair for 4 hours after being given pain meds then told i could.go home but then ended up having an emergency mri scan where i was told i had a slipped disc in my lower back. In agony no matter what I do even with pain meds. I am only 27 and have 4 kids to see to. How long does this last as i cant be like this much longer im going out of my mind and its only been 4 days.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

sorry to hear that, I feel your pain.   What did the doctors advise on the next steps after your MRI confirmed slipped disc?   Can you describe the pain/symptoms you have  - do you have sciatica down your leg/s

someone a couple of posts ago mentioned a website that gives you exercises for helping allieviate pain which could help

when I had straight forward sciatic pain due to over exertion then mine took around 2 weeks to subside.  Need to ensure you don't twist your body, don't lift anything heavy (not easy with kids!)  and sit straight in a chair and get up slowly keeping your upper body aligned.  do keep taking pain meds as that helps the muscle spasms and soreness.

If a prolapse that is pressing on your sciatic nerves then do enquire about surgery as not sure if this goes on its own.   Your docs really do need to give you more advise on what the MRI said rather than handing out pain meds and you getting on with it.

An osteo (not physical therapy) could help align your back, also do look at acupuncture as has helped me greatly in the past xx

• Posted

How are you now. I started with similar symptoms 2 wks ago. Physio advised prolapsed disc but yet to be confirmed by mri on 22.11.17. Made loads of progress first week but second week little progress and last 2 days sciatica symptoms increased . Just wondering how long recovery takes? Thanks Catherine 
  • Posted

Hi,  I have the same issue. The followings things help me:

- a good physio therapist and daily physio exercises to strengthen the area.

- hot baths, a good soak in hot water helps massively.

- walking.

- swimming.

Hope you get fixed up or find ways to manage it.

• Posted

Hi barnard

It’s 5 wks now and I am so much better. Managed to come off painkillers and I find walking as much as I can as well as physio exercises are helping. Had mri today but could be 3 wks before I  get results. Hoping I will be almost back to normal by then. Going to try swimming this week. I would say the first 4 wks progress was so slow with many bad days but last week and this week I have felt more comfortable and able to do a lot more. Hope you are making a good recovery. Until you have experienced a prolapsed disc it is difficult to understand the pain and frustration.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.