Slipped disc and Sciatica

Posted , 31 users are following.

Im glad i found this site, I too have had problems with slipped disc and sciatica for nearly 3 years!!!!

It all started in November 2004 woke up on a sunday am in excruating pain down my right leg.

Husband took me to emergency doc and they gave me low dose valium and painkillers.

I work in an office answering phones all day so the sciatica was murder.

I got sent to back exercise class and physio but still had sciatica and back pain.

Finally this year i got to see a senior physio who referred me at once for an mri scan. Got an appointment on July 26 2007.

waiting to see what the results of the mri are.

Iam totally in sympathy with everyone on here. x

2 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Again, sorry for the formatting of this message and the spelling i was in a rush smile rolleyes
  • Posted

I, too, am suffering from sciatica, and slipped discs of L5/S1. I knew about the sciatic on May 28, about 7 weeks ago. Just this morning, my GP called with the results of last week's MRI, which shows the slipped discs. I have been in excruciating pain all of this time. Next week, I am scheduled to see a neurological surgeon. From the discussions I have read in this forum, I am not very hopeful...in fact, I am a bit fearful. I have been taking high dosage ibuprofen for weeks with minimal results. I am immobilized by the pain, and the nsaids (non steroidal anti inflammatory cause great constipation. I have been researching alternatives to nsaids for pain relief with all their side effects, so I am about to order some capsules called aminoactiv, which are supposedly natural pain relievers with no known toxins or side effects. Meanwhile, I'll keep the appointment with the neuro-surg, continue resting and moving whenever possible.
  • Posted

hi everyone I had slipped disc 3 and half years ago now. I have had 2 operations the last one been in jan 2013. Ive just had 5 sessions of acupuncture and it did relieve some of the stabbing pain I have in my hip. From the consultants report from the surgery the nerves have been badly flattened which has caused me no end of problems with my left leg. Numbness and slight pins and needles. Also when I sit down for more than 10 mins the base of my back is really painfull and when I try and stand it becomes really difficult to straighten myself up. I had a discussion with my consultant at Trafford who said due to scar tissue at the moment there was no point doing another MRI scan. This is frustration as I know its still not right. Small tasks are still very painful around the house. I used to be a gas fitter but I know as I am at the moment I can just about lift the kettle feeling strain on lower back sometimes I feel like im going to snap in half. My sleep in around 2-3 hours which is broken and I take omerprezol, gabberpentine, Arcoxia, dulaxitine Zormorph, paracetamol and adcal. I also have liquid morphine to use when pain becomes too much. I am scared that a third operation would be fatal as the last MRI should the disc pushing deep on the spinal chord. I have to weigh up weather to take the painkillers im on now for ever or have the surgery with no promise of success. I know the medication has affected my bladder function in terms of its a trickle now . You do get down too having to fight for benefit to survive on top of dealing with the pain
  • Posted

Hi everyone,

I have been reading posts after mine and I am shocked that none of you have had any relief from surgery, I had my surgery via the NHS at a private hospital in Sheffield luckily my doctor referred me to an amazing Neurology surgeon call Mathius Radatz he is a private surgeon from Thornberry Hospital, I had a first meeting with him after months of pain and on his assessment found I had a prolapsed disc he had a cancellation the next day so I was admitted that evening to prepare for surgery.

I am happy to say I was in surgery on the Tuesday I was walking by the Wednesday out of hospital on the Friday and back home, I had physio once a week and I returned to work after 5 weeks, I have no pain which is unbelievable after what I went through, I am able to do everything I did before with care and awareness I still cannot exercise only Pilates and yoga and my right foot is still a little weak, but I am back driving for 6 hours a day and wearing my heels.

Core exercises helped me support my back through the recovery and I still do them now to protect it, I no longer take medication at all.

My operation was the best thing to ever be offered me and I am so happy this is finally resolved, I hope that my experience has helped, and I have total sympathy for anyone suffering from the same it is horrendous and as previously said if you are not pouring with blood most people don't believe you.

Good luck everyone and speedy recovery.

Michelle

• Posted

Hello fellow readers, again we are not alone on this subject with many people suffering excruciating pain With sciatica where we wouldn't put our worst enemy or pets through this torture and absurd waiting game.

Following a 6 week Pilates course and playing active tennis I hurt my back in Feb 2013. I had physio, acupuncture and ultrasound and then developed sciatica lasting between 1-2 weeks and reoccurring almost monthly. My last episode is the worst 'acute sciatica' where I cannot stand or sit longer than 10 seconds without screaming out in pain. The bum muscle, top of leg, back of knee, calf muscle and ankle area go into tight spasms ie the whole of the nerve and the only way to avoid pain is to lay completely flat with a cushion to support where necessary. My breathing and blood pressure appear to go through the roof like little panic attacks until the pain and muscle disperses; leaving me exhausted and in tears.

My GP referred me straight away for an MRI through the NHS and an appointment came through in 3 weeks to see an orthopaedic consultant which I would not have been able to attend without Diazepam which did not help but it got the hospital and consultant concerned with the constant pain and tears and turning up in a wheelchair (aged 45). Unfortunately I was informed an MRI scan would take some time and when I rang to enquire about going privately the response about waiting times was the same.

The meds I am taking which take the edge off this is codeine, diazepam, gabapentin and naproxen.

I had no choice but to go private at The Spire Hospital who as you would expect we're very accommodating. I telephoned on the Friday, had the scan Tuesday afternoon and met the consultant Wednesday evening who confirmed a prolapsed disc in my lower back and the various options I could consider together with the possible side affects. I am booked in tomorrow evening (Friday) for an epidural cortisone injection with ex ray to ensure the exact spot is injected and to return to see the consultant in 2weeks. all self funded and less than £1,800 so I can return to work as soon as possible as I am still in my probationary period of employment. If this works which I very much hope it does will be money well spent. If it doesn't then I will need to spend approx £5000 for an operation to remove the damaged disc.

Fingers crossed and best wishes to everyone going through similar conditions.

• Posted

Hi all, just found this site and everyone has my deepest sympathy. I can't believe the lack of treatment and knowledge by some of the medical professionals.

I've had a prolapsed disc for approx 5 years now and had 2 injections over that time. The last one being Feb 2012 and I have now been suffering again for the last 10 weeks after bending to put my trainers on!!

Waiting for another MRI to see if the disc has degenerated further and if surgery is now the way forward. GP prescribed meds are not touching it at the moment and I'm averaging 2 hours sleep per night. Luckily work are understanding and have given me time to get myself right.

I've read mixed reports on the success of surgery and as its spinal, the worry is enormous. Luckily, never had an operation before, but I think that's making me even more nervous!! But I really can't continue as I am now. I'm 40, with two kids, play tennis and coach a kids football team, and I really can't think of not being able to participate in any of this because of my disc issue or more importantly my worry over the op vs another injection.

• Posted

Hi all glad I found this site and also to see at least one positive experience of the discectomy op Have had my pain for 19 months now and only got an mri in February saw the neuro who asked doc to refer me for physio and injection locally and then operation if pain worse

My pain is now worse and now nearly 7 months of diagnosis still have not even had injection or any pain relief. and its 3-4 months wait for an injection. am thinking of asking now to have the operation as the pain is getting worse and I get pins and needles and numbness in my leg too.

My friend said under nhs charter you should get some treatment by 18 weeks of referral, and my referral was the start of March ? is this right and how can I get things brought forward

many thanks

sue

• Posted

Just joined this site as I too am suffering from Sciatica and wanted to find out how fellow sufferers were

coping,also as a tennis player and keen on keeping fit,how do people cope without doing any exercise.

Please can anyone advise on anything that I can do to tone my now getting flabby body.

I have had an MRI scan which shows up the various parts of the spine which have now deteriorated and

the disc which is pressing on the nerves,so together with that and arthritic spinal cord together with wear

and tear,the advice from my very good doctor is"It will go eventually"Meanwhile I had a holiday booked to

Cuba,10hour flight which I came off crying with the pain despite taking every pain killer going.The holiday

was not looking good.On the holiday site in Valadera the rep recommended the on site doctor,everyone

in Cuba seems to have sciatica,she was brilliant,I had an injection four days running in the buttocks of

Dioxaflex,Betametasona,Diclofenac,and vitamin B12 all combined.

For the journey home she gave me the above injections in pill form together with 500mg of Metocarbamolwhich I have to take twice every 11 hours.

I also have from my own doctor Omeprazole 20mg to protect the stomach which is very important with all

the pain killers that I have been taking.

The above pills that I have mentioned from Cuba are for relaxing and anti-inflammatory pain so beware

the pain goes but it is only masking the symptoms so still take it easy.

I am seeing a consultant early January but hopefully i will not need him.

I will be going back to my own doctor for more of the above pills if they are available in England.

Hope this has helped some of you,and please advise on some exercises that will prevent me getting

flabby.

Hope you all get better very soon as it is a very depleting illness and insist on MRI scans ASAP

• Posted

It's really comforting to know there are others out there suffering with the same illness. I have been suffering from chronic back pain for 11 years. It started when I was 13 years old. I am now 24 and I got my first mri a few weeks ago and I have 3 bulging discs, one of which has pinched the nerve going down my leg and I have lost sensation down my leg and in my last three toes, I feel I need the loo all the time and I can't sit without going numb in between my legs. The pain is out of this world. I hate that I wake up in the morning. I have been told that the waiting list to see the surgeon is months as I have a medical card and my health insurance won't cover it as it's a pre-existing condition.

To make things worse, I'm doing a PhD, and I have been unable to go to work for the last two months. My funding will be cut. I worked so hard to get to this stage in my career and its all going down the drain because my doctor thinks it will just disappear by dumping loads of valium and codeine into me.  It's not just the physical pain, it's the psychological pain, the frustration of having to fight for treatment and the lack of hope you can sometimes feel. 

Does anyone have any tips on how to get your doctor to take it seriously???

Also, will the surgery cause more scar tissue and pain? 

Frightened! :'( 

• Posted

It  is really comforting to know that there is others who understand the fustraition of this back pain.

Im only 24 and have been dealing with this on and off back pain for a good few years..  usually after a week of bed rest the pain soon eases off.

About a month ago the pain was horrendous leaving me bed bound for 3 weeks after going to A+E and my GP numerous times all they could offer was a load of painkillers which were just numbing my mind!  the MRI had shown a slipped disc and nothing was helping! 

I finally had the spinal epidural which had helped alot ! however going back to work has just brought me back 3 paces again. i had to cut my hours and now unfortuanly am unable to do my job as it is too physical .( beauty therapy) it has caused me to shake and not feel well.

it has completly ruined my carrear which i have come so far after alot of different training and i am back to square one

can anyone suggest anything to help? or to help ease the pain at all?  it is just so fustraiting.

• Posted

Is yours any better..well found this site sounds pretty terrifying to me ..what a horrible thing that they can't figure this out to help us all.. I had sciatica one time on the left side for 6 weeks. at that time went to chiropractor got a massage therapist that like beat the sh*t out of my glute muscle and I thought well then it must be something to do with the muscle..it did finally ho awsy with stretching and walking..i do have degeneratice disks..but then on the right side I push this cabinet irritated it, got Mri..bulging disk..same sciatica feeling.. nine months only thing that relieves it is walking a lot and stretching and yoga, and jacuzzi and I'm trying to strengthen the core muscles but it is hard when you're in pain I feel like all I do is workout and stretching don't even sitting cross legged Indian style..helps stretch out the muscle.. it's a mysterious thing and I'll keep trying keep you posted..I talk to somebody who had the shot it will last 3 weeks people say after the operation it doesn't always get better its something with that damn muscle and just stretching it out and just fighting it sometimes I have to keep working out the muscle and it actually goes away but it's a pain in the ass!! I'll try acupuncture soon
    • Posted

Hello all, I just came across this forum,quite helpful. The story is quite similar. 2013 after an operation to remove a tumor on my neck which led to alot of discomfort such that getting out of bed or sofa would find me on the floor. Slowly by slowly I found it difficult walk straight due to the sharp pain. My doctor referred me for an Cray.,there was muscles spasm thru referred mme again for physio too painful with cold. Ice

.. we are talking of a period of May to August 2013.was able to walk but bent in a way. After working for three week's was too tired and felt one leg shorter than the other. You get all of advice and somebody suggested I should have special designed shoes I decided to take leave and rest. For one week,on Sundayw night of the MOnday I was to resume job I ,couldn't even turn in bed pIns similar to Labour pains my husband rushed me hospital as an emergency.Thew hospital staff too good, was then taken an MRI w which gave a clear picture of prolaps prolased disc. Was given all the dedication you can imagine. A guy guy at my wot

• Posted

Hi just had yet another injection this is after 2 big operations and lots of physio and medication.  it is a case of learning to recognise your bodys new limitations.  this can be very frustrating but do not become a secluse in your own home as this does the mind no good whatsoever.  yes i got myself a dog now i have 2 but when i take them out ive met some lovley people which has helped with my self confidence.  i understand that my injection is only short term relief.  i found accipuncture  helped at first i thought it was a waste of time but out of the 12 tiny needles just one found the spot and that gave me so much relief for that week the only issue is that with the NHS you can only have 6 free sessions.  try it ask your gp for a referral and if it works continue this treatment yourself it may get your careear babck on track.

hope this helps

• Posted

I frustrated typing my story. Keeps going off and I have to restart. I am glad tomeet many people we share common problem. May 2013 I was from surgery problem and I ended up with prolapsed disc. It's a terrible experience you could never wish your enemy. With a process of terrible and painful pyhsios after an Cray I was able to resume duty in August for three weeks only to take leave for one week which never ended before I was taken to host on a Sunday night of September. In the hospital thy did an MRI which gave a picture of the prolapsed disc. Visited chiropractor for several sessions and hydrotherapy sessions which did very well. I was able to return to work in December o half day. With time I coult leave work at 4 pm to avoid traffic jam. 2014 was good until 9November when I received a call at 5am from police to notify me of my husband in a road accident. He was miles away from town so I had to in a hotel as they did an operation on his right leg which broken thrice. Transferef him to another hospital where they found multiple blood clots even in his lungs. It was a tough moment and with God's Grace he came out of that in a period of two weeks. After bringing my husband home, I begun pains again. Went for Xray and was referred for physio and hydrotherapy. I would use public means to hospital though with struggles and would get worse and user a taxi home. I was given total bed rest for one week. The neurosurgeon surgeon suggested surgery as the final solution. I have a colleague who took that direction and is now on a wheelchair which really scared me. One of our medical officers suggested I should visit the pain management sessions since I was in too much pain. The pain management doctor could not waste time,she said that was not pain to manage and booked me theater on Monday mortgage at 6am as the first patient for the week. That Monday 9th February had my first nerve block. By Friday I was to leave hospital but the pain was still there. I had another nerve block on that Friday and left hospital on 22nd February. For three weeks I went for exercises we take and I went back to work very excited. 7th of March I was lying in bed watching TV very comfortable and fell asleep.By waking up my pain was back. I am now on total bed rest. The fear of going to the toilet is my major problem now.if I drink or eat much it means more trips to the toilet.When I delay going to the toilet it will take me more time when go since I must anyway. The shame of the children bringing a bucket and the like is not a small matter. On 25th this month I go for Radio Frequency procedure which I trust God to work. It's true we've gone through too much in pain ,expenses and time but we must appreciate that there are people going through more pain than us.we must thank God for our families too. The doctors will do their part and when they are done with their part,God will take over.I take any chance of apainfree moment in thanking God and remembering those in greater painmay it be physical,spiritual or even mental. Our family does community work and my husband is in charge. We have tinned classes for slum children. Our four children are in private university which is too far beyond our means. One morning as I walked to the bus stop which is about 400 m from our house, the Spirit of God gave me a true picture of what it means to us when we are healthy and when poor. We had a car I could not drive and my husband too could not with his broken leg. I have a nice bed and house which could not give me sleep yet the poor complain to God for not blessing them with such. I concluded the greatest wealth is our health. As we go through this process, let's believe that God wants us to appreciate Him for this far He had brought us. Our healing is in His hands soon and very soon we shall regain our good health in Jesus name. Be grateful to God and do your best when you are healthy for the Honor and Glory of His name.Amen.You are all now in my prayers item list. We serve a God who is unlimited. Amen.
  • Posted

Hello fellow people!

I just joined, because i think i have the same problems as you guys.. About a year or so ago i fell off a friends back and landed on hard concrete. Right on my lower back. About 2 weeks later my right foot swells 3× bigger than my real foot. Then a few months later my right foot goes numb for about 2 weeks. I have had swelling, sharp pains, and spotty numbness. Also had two blood works done, and an x-ray. They don't know what it is.. They gave me anti-Flammatory meditation just yesterday. Next monday, i have a MRI for my ankle... And i play club volleyball!! I am in High school. Will this stop me for some time? And how do i get some results??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.