Slipped disc (L1) Need some kind of exercise program. Anyone help me out?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ok so i have had a slipped disc for nearly a year now. And the pain has got so much better , But it still hurts when i sit down on a sofa/chair and lift my left leg up. I need some kind of exercise Program if anyone can send me one? Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

The best exercise i find is to walk short distance as often as you can dont over do it but be persistant
    • Posted

Thank you Peter. Thats what ive been doing anyway helps allot . But need something more to do with strengthining the back.
  • Posted

Can your doctor refer you to a physiotherapist? They will be able to assess your needs and give you exercises to do safely, also ake sure you are doing them properly so you don't make the problem worse.
    • Posted

Hi Jean i only wish i tried that before i had surgery the way it is now is destroying the soul in me i will keep going though i wont let that surgeon beat me.as soon he said i had a failed back he did not want to know me
    • Posted

Don't despair peter, are you getting good pain relief/support?
    • Posted

Not really i take nerve blockers and anti inflams pain killers etc
  • Posted

physio is usually useless! i was given exercises by one physio which i did religiously for 5 months, he left and i had another physio and she said i had been given the wrong exercises and to do pilates which when i googled pilates for slipped discs it all came back with pilates makes your back worse, so i found Robin Mckenzies how to treat your own back on ebay and i have been following them and all his exercises are on youtube aswell, theres 3 main ones, bird dog, bending backwards and laying on your front and raise yourself up. the book tells and shows you how to sit properly too. i hope ive been of some help.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply! I agree physio is useless. But I've started Pilates and they have been amazing , Im pretty much pain free now smile I also have a epidural injection tomorrow. And I will try those 3 exercises. Thank you so much for the reply it's been great. And hope your back is ok

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.