Slipped disc l5 s1 and in agonising pain for last 7 months

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before but I'm new to forum and just after bit of advice and experiences of other forum members. Cut a long story short I have suffered with back pain for 8+ years but not until the last 7 months has it become unbearable. I was diagnosed with a large slipped disc in November l5 s1 which I had mri scan done for, all funded by myself. I was then told the ephudrial cortisone injection should give me relief. Basically had that done by 1st December 2015 and for about 2 months pain had gone and I was able to go about my daily business but never really pushed my self as in lifting heavy objects etc. well 6 weeks or so ago the pain has crept back but over last 4 weeks or so it's at a stage where I can't even stand up for first 30 seconds or so as pain is so bad in my left buttock , my leg all the way down that I can't put any weight on my foot. It's gradually getting worse day by day. I'm on all the normal meds that you can think of but they don't help in the slightest. So last week paid again to go see the consultant who has now referred me on the nhs to see a spinal surgeon which will be in mid may. But I'm at my wits end with the pain and just seems like there no light at the end of the tunnel. Also if they do recommend surgery is there many of you that have hsd it done and was it successful ?

Sorry for rambling on and would love if anyone can give me a bit more info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

The leg pain is actually more painful at moment than my actual back if that makes any sense !!

Thanks again

Jazz

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Jazz.....  It's a tough one, and the fourth time around for me.  You'll have to take it seriously and there's no way to know all the variables, and how it all will go.   Overdoing is what cripples me, and then I lay up in bed for weeks, 8 to be precise, and the pain then vanishes.  I've done that three times now.  I know I have two bad discs, but one is mid back, and the other is lower back.  I'm retired, which helps a lot, and don't know what's next.  Operations don't seem to really have better than 50/50 odds either. 

Good luck to you.....

charley

• Posted

Thank you Charley , I've just turned 39 years old , forgot to mention that in post so just feel at a total loss at moment. Just trying to do as much research as I can to any advice etc but apart from your self didn't get no response so thank you very much for taking time out to post. Much appreciated and hope u feel better soon to
    • Posted

Jazz,

It's a maddening situation since, as you've likely read, it can last a short time or a long time.  Or it can be like mine now, where I can sit and I can drive, but I can't stand longer than about 10/15 minutes without having to sit.  My pain goes from the hip joint down to the bottom of my foot on the right side, and comes and goes depending upon what I'm doing.  I've convinced myself it's an inflamation problem the way it comes and goes, but I also know I have 2 bad discs.

Keep reading and studying and learn how best you can deal with yours, that's surely the first step, as you're doing.  Best of luck.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.