slipped disc question

Posted , 3 users are following.

i had a slipped disc and had a laminectomy about 9 years ago, worked, fantastic, last april i slipped the disc above and took 5 months to get better, in july this year it went again i thought i was getting better but yesterday it seems like its going to go again and wanted to ask if anyone else has had this happen? im due to see someone at the private spine hospital near me in 2 weeks and am worried, ive done all the usual rubbish they do and nothing has helped, if they should offer another op i don't know whether to have it as if i did surely that would make my back as weak as hell and more than likely have the disc below these two go, im so depressed as i should think many of you know what its like, for a while now i have been thinking theres only one way out of this and i just cannot possibly face the next 30-40 years like this and in constant pain, has anyone got any advice please?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

What ever  you  do  don't  have surgery I have surgery twice and it has ruined my life with failed  back syndrome I think  these surgeons just do it for the money
  • Posted

I would also counsel you to  think very seriously about further surgery back surgery. My farther is a doctor and has had to deal with so many failed back surgeries. It can so easily go wrong and leave you practically crippled. There  are some very good pain medications available now. Fentanyl is particularly suited to your kind of problem. I really feel for you. Really you have to make a choice between very risky surgery and a lifetime on powerful combination of pain meds. I think fentanyl, a low,dose of physeptone and some Klonopin would be helpful alongside some gentle physiotherapy such as hydrotherapy. Please don't feel,so depressed. Pain management has come a long way since the seventies. I can't tell you not to have the surgery, sometimes the results are great and life changing, but all too often it just severely compounds the problem and the pain.
    • Posted

Jack there seams to be more failures than cures what does your father think
    • Posted

To be honest he has said to me he would never consider back surgery. He suffers from chronic back problems himself. He recommends  swimming, he's very big on that. He really believes hydrotherapy has a place in the management of chronic back pain. There are many medications that relieve symptoms and different combinations of them for different symptoms and conditions. With a good knowledgable and patient doctor there really is very little reason why a combination of physical therapies and pain magement can't significantly improve your quality of life. I suffer from ankylosing spondylitis which causes me pretty significant pain. I'm on a combination of pain meds and I swim three times a week. Happily at the moment my regime is working very well
    • Posted

thanks for your reply, physio doesn't work and i do not want to be on drugs ffor the rest of my life or be offf my face with drugs! i have a 15 year old son and its just me and him, i have no partner and no other family. in reality, im finished.
    • Posted

I a disc extort on low and it re herniated 3rd as later so had a redo I feel 10 times worse
    • Posted

I had a discectomy on l45 it reherniated 3 days later then had a redo I feel 10 worse

• Posted

Pete, I really feel for you. It seems you're on the verge of being crippled. I can't imagine how fearful your position must be. I hope you are able to find the very best doctor and surgeon. When I consider all you've told us I think perhaps you need to bite the bullet and go for the surgery. I hope you have good friends that are going to be able to help you out during your recovery. Please have hope, you're not finished. You have been ground down by permanent pain and fear for the future. Have hope my friend, we have some of the best  surgeons in the world here in the UK. Surgery for you may really help. But you are definitely going to need some help during your recovery. I wish you all the very best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.