Slipped disk surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

What's the best operation for treatment of slipped disks please?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Mine was a discectomy were they removed 3 quarter of the 2 disc s compressing on my spinal cord.
  • Posted

Interesting question, probably best for your surgeon to answer; even your doctor wouldn't be able to answer that.

The only ones I know of are

a) Microdisectomy - lesser quicker operation 20-40 mins although you will be under general ansesthetic for about 3 hours (well I was)

b) Disc fusion - they fuse the disks together with a mini meccano set because the disk is so badly warn. 

The key is how well you stick to the recovery plan. Unfortunately, patients try and come back too quickly and end up back at square one.

Andy Murray had a microdisectomy and then a year or so later won Wimbledon.   

• Posted

Problem is at the same time, so did Tiger Woods, two disectomies in fact, and he has been crap ever since. My physio thinks the Americans rehab is too acclerated unlike ours.  

During this time, he also blew it with  Lyndsey Vonn, but that is probably irreleavent !

• Posted

I had an open discectomy with a laminectomy. The laminectomy involves removal of a part of the lamina which covers the spinal canal. After this the part of the disc which is protuding into the spinal canal and putting pressure on the nerves is cut and removed. 

Apparently a microdiscectomy causes a smaller cut due to which the scarring and trauma is less.

But I guess your neurosurgeon would be the best person to throw up options.

Hope you have an early healing and recovery.

Harry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.