Slipped Femoral Epiphysis - 3/4 years later

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, my daughter had an operation to fix her hip 3/4 years ago after a fall in netball - she’s slim but tall and needed one pin. She was up and about very quickly afterwards, she was given X-rays, checkups and was signed off 2 years ago! Since then she has been very active and takes part in many sports! She sometimes has to wear a knee support during netball but for the last few days she has shooting pains in her thigh and it hurts to put pressure on it?! Is this growing pains? Muscle pain or should I be worried after all this time ?? Has anyone had experience of problems or afterpains after a Slipped Femoral Epiphysis ? 

Many thanks 😊

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had complications from the s.c.f.e, something called Advascular Necrosis or Avn. Basically when my ball slipped it broke the vein that delivers blood to the top of my femor. It's really really rare but something to look out for if she's still having pain. Maybe just go to your doctor and get an x-ray just to be safe! Hope I helped ~ Ava 😊😊

• Posted

Thank you Ava, she has been fine for nearly 4 years now which is why I thought she had fully recovered? I will definitely take her to get checked out though! Many thanks 👍🏻

• Posted

yes...... I had the exact same problem with my right hip..... 4 pins..... they are NAILS not pins..... lol.... 4 inches long is not a pin...... anyway..... unfortunately for me..... they hit the bursa of the joint when they did mine and did not tell me...... I went back to my normal routine..... softball, swimming, tennis, hiking, camping...... after 1 year I began having severe pain in my thigh..... and groin area.......  when I went back they told me that I should NOT have been participating in any sports..... swimming was okay but not competition swimming...... Because of this..... at 28 I had a total right hip replacement and need the left one done......  is she playing with the "pin" in...... if so I would get her to the doctor asap...... I would do that anyway...... I will pray to here a great update!

• Posted

typo...... meant to say...... a year after the removal of my nails ( in my drawer) ..... I resumed sports...... was allowed to do nothing for a year.....
  • Posted

Hi Dan I would get an xray done to check everything ok with the joint
  • Posted

Thank you I will ring the doctor tomorrow and get an appointment as soon as possible 👍🏻

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.