slippery elm

Posted , 6 users are following.

Barretts oesophagitis is getting worse Has anyone tried slippery ell Omeprazone not working taking two a day Is there anything else that might work

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You need to go back and talk it over with your doctor.
    • Posted

Thank you Janet for your advice. I contacted the pharmacist who said there was no interactions. It is quite expensive so I think I will look into further before buying it.
  • Posted

Hi I've got the same problem really.I'm mainly struggling with what food to eat for the best. I want to eat more of an alkaline diet but I need to eat soft food for the esophragitus. I have been back to docs and got prescribed ranitidine to take in addition to omeprazolve, but im not that happy about it really. To answer your question, you could try dgl liquirice. Does anybody have any suggestions re soft diet that is not acidic.

Clare

• Posted

I had barretts really bad a couplt of years ago, had a prescription, and cough all the time could not swollow it was horible, I became a vegetarian and Ineed no more pills and I am 90% better.I eat all raw chopped up vegetables, no tomatoes or onions. Plain pasta helps keep it better, Eat nothing that magnifies the acid in your stomach. Apples help apple cider vinegar helps search for things that nutrilize the acid, I'm all better it took about a year, good luck I also use slippy elm
    • Posted

Thank you Michael for your post. I have been to the doctors and he prescribed a medicine that helps the stomach empty quicker. I am still considering using slippery elm but it is quite expensive and would like a little more about it before I buy it. Thank you again
  • Posted

Slippery elm really is not that expensive if you buy it at a health food store in bulk, it sounds expensive at about $50 dollars a pound but it is so very light and fluffy that you really do get alot for $20 dollars. and it doesn't take much in your hot water just a pinch. buy just a little at a health food store
  • Posted

Hi there, I can definitely say that slippery elm is a marvel. Calms my acid in very short time. Does leave me feeling bit full but can cope with that. Also coconut water is for me another really good remedy. I have coconut milk on porridge for breakfast that seems ease the acid and glass of coconut water during day if I feel acid starting. Liquorice also helps, as does ginger root cookies. I've taken myself of melds as they stopped working and I personally feel can mask problems but that's just my thoughts. I've changed from regular bread to gluten free and feel better for it. Honestly though, I think it's different strokes for different folks and trial and a lot of trial and error. I wish you all the luck in the World and hope you manage to find some of the examples of what works for some of us helps you too. 
  • Posted

Has anyone had any good results taking slippery elm. I don't know nothing about it either I just don't want to make my systems worse by taking something else. I did try it and it gave me a stomach ache. I'm scared to try it again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.