slippery elm

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been suffering with GERD and IBS for many years and take the usual buscopan, fybogel, ranitidine and esomeprazole at various times,  Have been suffering with gastritis for a few weeks now and was told by a GP to take slippery elm, I am not usually a great believer in taking these wacky meds but after just 5 tablets, I am virtually pain free.  On Friday night I nearly went to A&E the pain and burning was so bad in the middle of my stomach I was in agony, unable to eat, drink or sit straight.  On Sunday I started taking 600mg tablets 20 minutes before each meal.  So I have taken 5 and after 2 I felt amazing, they dissolve and coat the lining of your stomach a bit like bonjela on an ulcer.  They may not work for everyone but if you google they are a well known treatment for all sorts of stomach problems.  I got mine from a local health shop and they were expensive £13.49 for a bottle of 90.  Holland and Barrett do cheaper ones but you need to take more as they are a lower dose.  I intend to finish the bottle and if that has sorted my gastritis out will stop, at least I can now enjoy my food a bit more.  

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Been reading a lot about this supplement lately.  Think I'll give it a try.  Thanks for the tip.

• Posted

I have the Holland and Barretts but only took 2 at a time will try more thanks for the tip
    • Posted

Hi, I take 3 x 600mg per day and so far they are working well.  Not completely cured have had gastritis and IBS for so long, but definitely able to eat and function normally without being in agony.  Did you have any luck with them?
    • Posted

Do u take 1 600mg per meal or 3 600mg per meal.ive only started again doing 4 330mg.per meal
    • Posted

Hi, mine are from Bio Care they are 600mg tablets.  I take one 20 minutes before a meal, so 3 per day in total.  I think that Holland & Barrett are only 350mg so I would take 2 per meal.  I know it is expensive but trust me I have only been on them since Sunday as feel like a new person. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.