Slippery Elm

Posted , 10 users are following.

Now on week 6 of diverticulitis (2 back to back), and thus two rounds of antibiotics (ended 2 weeks ago). Still really sensitive, still crampy (especially in the morning), and lots of slightly bloody mucus-poop. I've been trying enzymes with each meal for about 5 days now, does not seem to help much.  I've been taking probiotics throughout the entire ordeal, again does not seem to help much.  I've tried re-introducing some fiber, some boiled eggs, boiled meats, does not seem to make a difference one way or the other. I've decided to give slippery elm a try: is anyone else using this, and is it helping ?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry you are having so much trouble.  I am glad you asked about slippery elm.  I see it come up in lots of information about diverticulitis but I have not tried it nor know anyone who has.  I will be following this to see what kind of answers you get.

Hang in there!

• Posted

I have been taking slippery elm for the last 2 months, once a day but also I am taking so many things, 2 probiotics 2 hours after the antibiotics, aloe Vera juice, coconut water, ensure fir proteins, my nutritionist just mentioned Juven , it is powder and needs to be mixed in cold water, twice a day. Juven is from the same makers of Ensure, includes collagen protein, a protein shown to increase the rate of wound healing.  Orange is my flavor.
    • Posted

Are any of these helping? I have been dealing for 5 months now. Diagnosed Severe Diverticulosis with IBS and now SIBO. All diets are diff for each . It’s so hard for me to figure out what to eat. Have lost 40 lbs.  I see a lot of these supplements come up in ads. But do they work? 
    • Posted

I was diagnosed in Feb 2018 with Diverticulitis and abscess, did a month of antibiotics And also developed anxiety and panic attacks. So now after many tests that’s my diagnosis.
    • Posted

If you are on Cypro and Flagel, they do that (anxiety & panic).  It will go away once you are off the meds.  Take care!

• Posted

Please try to write down everything that you eat and drink every day. You will know what works for you after while. We are all different. I am trying to heal before my surgery on July 31.
  • Edited

Slippery elm has truly helped me, I swear by it. I was having terrible attacks every 4 to 6 months, my last was almost a year ago when once again I had to take the usual antibiotics with their horrible side effects. Since then I have had 2 mini attacks where I did not need the antibiotics. I hope that it works for you.

• Posted

Hi . Did you find slippery elm help. I'm at a loss. Am taking cbd oil. Probiotics. Now slippery elm. This blood and mucus and loose poo s getting me down! Antibiotics are bad side effects. This DD just seems to go on and on And on !!! Any help would be appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.