Slippery Elm for Globus Sensation

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone taken slippery elm for globus sensation?  If so did it work?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Edited

I haven't heard about it and sceptical that it would make a difference but you could try it!

• Posted

Thanks for responding.  Well I suppose anything is worth a try!  I'll let you know how I get on. smile

• Edited

Well as long as it's not expensive and not pushed as a miracle cure (they don't exist). Have you tried releasing tension in your neck muscles? I strongly believe it's caused by these muscles. Plenty of info online. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you for coming back to me.  I have booked a neck and shoulder massage for next week.  I'll let you know how I get on.  I'm going to give the tablets a go too! smile  

• Edited

That sounds good, I hope you enjoy it!

I don't want to worry you but I have had the sensation on and off for 40 years. I had a very difficult early life and have had serious depression and anxiety. I have taken anti anxiety meds for over 20 years. I've now been in therapy for 10 years. It has taken its toll (as you can see).

I've noticed that anxiety is a main feature of the sensation, and anxious people tend to literally tighten themselves which means tight muscles. Most people hold tension in their neck, back and shoulders which in my opinion can lead to the lump feeling. As an aside the lump can also represent unexpressed anger and sadness. For example when we feel sad we get a lump in our throat. If the sadness is not expressed ie crying the throat can lock up and the muscles tighten.

I do not know your age and you don't have to reveal anything to me if you don't want to. The reason I've spent so much time explaining it from my point of view is that it is within your power to take control by regularly relieving the tightness by doing neck stretches and massaging the tight areas, looking after yourself emotionally and relaxing to name a few things.

I feel I may have gone overboard but I hope it helps. As I explained I still get the feeling but it usually starts if I'm not looking after myself.

All good wishes, Sheila

• Posted

No you haven't gone overboard at all.  I appreciate you taking the time to talk to me. What's more it has helped.

i am not a stressed person but  last year was a very emotional one and it is never ending as my sister in law has been stealing money from my mum and mum won't believe it as she thinks the world of my sister in law. Meow ever morally I couldn't let it continue.  I now have my brother onside but we are having a constant battle with mum as she is 91 and has dementia!

i am 69 by the way 😊

Thank you again for your help.  And yes my neck and shoulder muscles are as tight as hell and painful, I'll let you know how I progress.

i do hope you are getting some respite from it all. Thanks again.

• Edited

Well I'm 59. Difficult to tell age online. My (wrong) assumption was that you were young so I wanted to impart my experience to help. I tried not to sound preachy ...

Life is so rewarding but we are challenged throughout... it is not at all easy. Hope your situation improves. Not nice to take advantage of the elderly.

• Posted

Not sure how I'll overcome the issue should it have mum but this lump in my throat isn't making things easier! 

Have a lovely Sunday. 

• Posted

You too. To be honest I just live with it. It is a kind of reminder that I need to look after myself more. Take care.
    • Posted

I’ve never heard this but have you been able to relieve tension. Thanks 
    • Posted

To be honest I haven't been taking it regularly as have had my granddaughter and her baby here over the weekend.  I was hoping playing with them would take my mind of it, but not a hope!  I will start taking the slippery elm again properly and let you know how I get on after a few days.  Also my neck and shoulder massage this week I'm hoping will help so I'll let you know. smile

• Posted

Sadly the slippery elm didn't work sad  I went for Reiki a couple of days ago and it really relaxed me.  Yesterday was a good day.  Today it's back but not quite as bad.  The indigestion that comes with it however has been awful ..... sad  As Sheila says no miracle cure.  Just need to stop thinking about it.  Not easy sad

• Posted

Hi, assume you've had all of this checked by doctors? I hope so. Yes there are more miracle cures sadly😟

• Edited

Yes I am under the Dr at the moment.  It was him that diagnosed globus pharyngeus and has referred me to ENT just to put my mind at rest.  However that appt isn't until end of April!  So I have to put my own mind at rest for the time being. This morning no lump, no indigestion!  Making the most of it! smile

• Posted

Glad you're getting it checked out. And glad the sensation is not present!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.