Slow going not ready for work,but Dr. willing to send me back at week 7

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I am at week 8 now and getting better,but seem to have more pain after PT! I am a phlebotomist and need full use of both arms,my dr was ready to send me back at week 7 and I literally had to plead that he give me more time off to recover,he gave me an additional 4 to 6 weeks. My PT lady says its all a game of time off allowed due to insurance etc,but after 6 weeks in a sling and no use of arm how was I expected to go back before I have ROM! This is definitely the most time consuming surgery I have ever had!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Rose you had major rotator cuff repair?

If so I wouldn't do any lifting with that arm/shoulder for months or at least till your surgeon gives you the all clear.

If you had major rotator cuff repair and risk lifting things before it has healed you risk damaging the repair and causing more pain and trouble that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

And if your job requires lifting and you are required to return to work before you are adequately healed, you better demand that they give you work that doesn't require any lifting of anykind that will risk damaging the repair. Of course, if you have no choice, I'd start documenting everything now, getting reports from your surgeon, therapist regarding your % of recovery so you can take it to somekind of litigation.

• Posted

I'm just shocked that the Dr. wanted to send me back before I heal and yes had three different procedures done to my shoulder,I have over 700 hrs of sick time and can only raise my arm up to my chest!

• Posted

I'm just shocked that the Dr. wanted to send me back before I heal and yes had three different procedures done to my shoulder,I have over 700 hrs of sick time and can only raise my arm up to my chest!

• Posted

Hi, Rose:

If you've had major rotator cuff repair involving 1 perhaps 2 rotators and multiple other issues I would think that you should not be lifting your arm except with assistance, and certainly not lifting up anything for several months.

Your health comes first you don't want to jeopardize the repair. There was a nurse on here who went back to work too early and started lifting patients and thinks she tore her arthoscopic repair. You don't want to do that. If your surgeon that performed the surgery on you is releasing you for full duty work I think you need another surgeon. I can't imagine why a surgeon would release a patient back to work if they are not adequately recovered. Perhaps you need another surgeon.

It wouldn't hurt to start documenting everything. Get copies of all your doctor and therapist progress reports.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.