slow healing time

Posted , 5 users are following.

I got diagnosed with small central disc bulge last October.after three years of on and of pain..

I just have a few questions to ask for advice.

Im not in pain all the time..i lead a nearly normal life.i have left my job wnd a job which in non strenuous.i never dobthings thst will cause me pain i,e pick up heavy things ect..i do ride a motorbike now..i have physio wen needed.and i swim everyday and pilates onece a week

My question is i still get lower back central discomfort...i do take zapain or naproxen..

Does a disc bulge improve or even heal completely????

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,  from people I know that have one the answer is no , I feel one has to build a life around it good days bad days. 
    • Posted

I'm sure if every person over 40 had a MRI, they would show a large amount of the population with a non symptomatic disc bulge.
  • Posted

Hi Paul,

I've had a bulge at l5s1 for 20 months now, and I just have to manage it as best I can. It lets me know when I overdo things, and I go for physio/massage once every 6 weeks or so. I also have ball exercises I do every night, and exercises I have to do in the gym if and when I can. My aim is to build up my back muscles, and 'contain' things as best I can. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi, yes disc bulges can reduce in size, they can stop irritating nerves which is the main cause of pain and sciatica. My mum had 3 disc bulges 30 years ago and has lived a normal life with no surgery. She is now nearly 70 so would have normal lower back pain. Hope that's you back to normal. Be careful with naproxen as it can severely damage the stomach wall and cause even more pain. You can get 8/500 co-codamol over the counter. Heat or ice can help and Pilates/yoga exercises that strengthen the core.
  • Posted

yes bulges can go back in on there own and often do not cause symptoms as mine does.

So if you are able to live a normal life keep going, pilates and swimming excellent options.

• Posted

Thanx for all replys...

I think changing my job has helped.im in care now so i dont nt bend stretch as often..obviously i do still worry bout my back..as initialy in the beginning it stopped me having a life..ive had two bouts of depression in the last year due to this slight pain..

Ive still considered the operation to have no pain

Any advice

• Posted

Hi paul and all

I am 25 and going now for 3 years since my slipped disc injury. I had 2-3 months of heavy pain at the begining and had to also quit my job! the pain now is bearable and it comes and goes. I like to work out and I ride a moterbike. dont like taking pills for back pain so only do when pain is bad. Id like to somehow help my back heal so it can be like when I were younger - pain free. unfortunatly Ive heard that the operation is maybe not worth it for me but I am yet to seek more professional advice..

• Posted

Im 40 now had issues for nearly 4 years..im like you id love my back to be normal like when i was younger..love to hear from ppl who had operation and had no issues for years..does get me down a little.i dont plsy football or snooker anymore.which is upsetting.. Let me no how u gt on

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.