Slow heartbeat after stopping smoking

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys, 

I am 20 years old and used to suffer from panic attacks and anxiety. I used to have panic attacks every week and used to call the ambulance and I was tested from ECGs to blood tests to X-rays and thanks nothing was found. I educated myself on why I was having these panic attack’s and learnt a lot of coping mechanisms and realised what was triggering my panic attacks. I haven’t had a panic attack in over 5 months. So I have decided to really take my health into consideration , I suffered from Alcohol and drugs misuse and have been clean now for over a year.  But yes I did continue to smoke cigarettes and attempted so many time to give up and longest I stopped for was two weeks but this one I want to to stop for good. I have asthma and I would say im slightly over weight and have attempted to excercise but can’t  get very far because I get out of breathe so quickly and have chest pains which I think is due to the smoking. Right now this is the probarly fifth time I’ve tried to stop smoking , I havnt smoked for 24 hours , I try to take a nap this afternoon and woke up in a panic with a hard heart beat and then very slow heartbeat. I felt slightly dizzy and also a sense of anxiety. I’m sure this the body adjusting itself and reconstructing everything inside but I just wanted to know has anyone else felt this and is it normal for the heart rate to go down after quiting smoking?

Thanks 🙂 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Zou, good on you for managing to decide it's time to quit smoking for good, until you reach that point it will never happen so only way now is up.

Yep your heart rate going to a slower pace is absolutely normal, mine used to paddle away at a fast rate most of the time, best would be around 87/95 until I quit and it went to normal pretty quickly, I think that when relaxed and not fixated on it it's about 65/70 which is soo much slower. I'm 8 years + now and there's absolutely nothing that would make me smoke again.

After quitting I often would doze of and wake with a start, used to feel like my heart had jumped in my chest, still get it sometimes now, don't give up giving up, it will get easier I promise

• Posted

I am pretty much sure that you should just stop smoking, as your heart does not react normally 
    • Posted

Monica sorry but this ones 22 days old and he didn't even come back to answer, really gets me when they do that as it's good to know that we are helping in some small way. Hope your doing ok

• Posted

Just quit smoking, and in case your heartbeat becomes slower, just drink coca-cola or coffee instead 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.