Slowed heart beat with anxiety?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Normally I get a racing heart beat with anxiety. Once in a whIle when falling asleep I'd feel like I stop breathing and jolt awake. I've had the chest drop feelings before as well, where your chest feels hollow like. Well for a few months now I've been having episodes of my heart rate slowing, to the point it makes me chest feel weird. Asked my Dr about it and he said it was my anxiety. I had a full cardiovascular work up 5-6 years ago and he said all that was good and I didn't need to worry about my heart. Ok. Well now it seems to be happening more often, it feels like I am at a normal rate then it slows way down for a brief time then it speeds back up. Really anxiety? Anyone else have the slow heart rate episodes?

On another note as an FYI, had a bad episode yesterday, lightheaded to the point I thought I was going to pass out. Never felt anything like it, felt like my sight was even off. Almost had my daughter call 911. Ended up going to ER, wasn't really having the slow rate thing at that time because I was freaking out about the almost passing out thing. But the ekg was good, perfect heart rhythms they said. Turns out I was slightly dehydrated and potassium is too low. So water and bananas for me. We'll see how it goes. Follow up with regular dr this week.

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hey , same here my heart rate is slow now whereas it was always near 100 , I always feel as if there's no heart inside or slowly the heart rate is decreasing and eventually I'll die .

• Posted

And does it just start out of nowhere? I could feel completely normal and have a nice steady heart rate and then out of the blue it gets super slow and my chest feels hollow. Then I take some big breaths to try to get it to speed back up. It's miserable. My Dr is seeing me Friday. I wish it was tomorrow. I might call them tomorrow and tell him I need in sooner.

• Posted

I was going to say i have had brain zap thing and was told it was dehydration related. Bananas and avocados are very useful. You have to keep uo the hydration thing, some people are just more prone by the way. Its half your body weight in ounces a day every day. And adding some fruit or veggies in there adds flavor and taste. Even adding one fourth  cranberry juice or whatever juice to give flavor and adds in a but if sugar and salt to the water making the hydration level better. Caffiene and sodas and tea make it harder to hydrate because they are diuretics. So you know.
    • Posted

Thank you so much! I will grab some cranberry juice. I like the sounds of that combo. I already drink a ton of water. I'll do the math tomorrow to see if it's half my weight lol.

• Posted

The brain is the only organ that cannot take water from foods and drinks. It needs WATER. We need to drink one half our body weight in ounces of water. If our brain doesn't get enough water, there's a point where we can not think straight, and that's the least of it.

Hope this helps, Bri.

• Posted

How slow is your heart rate getting? Mine never really races it just beats hard but slow.
    • Posted

I haven't been able to get a number really.  Because I feel the sensations it causes and I go to check my pulse and by then it's back to around 72 bpm.  So I think because I feel the senstation, it freaks me out so that brings my pulse back up to a normal rate.  When I first start to check my pulse it will be slow for a few beats then goes up. When this happens it does feel like it's beating hard.  It's probably just palps from anxiety and it's just morphed in to a new feeling.  I told my dr about it and he said that since it is something a little different than what I get with my typical anxiety, he is going to have to me get a halter monitor again.  I had a cardiac workup in 2009 and that was all fine.  That was when my anxiety first really started I think, so that's why they did the full workup, to be sure it wasn't something more. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.