SLOWED heart rate?! Help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

My heart rate is normally around 112bpm resting but in the last 3 weeks it has lowered to between 60-70bpm and not over 80bpm (even with strenuous activity). I am a 30 year old and otherwise healthy, female. Recently I have been suffering from dizzy spells, extreme fatigue and nausea. Not sure if these symptoms are related and correlate to a larger issue overall but I have voiced these concerns to my GP and have an appointment on the 30th of this month to wear a Holter monitor. Thanks for any help! It’s much appreciated!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

112 sounds a bit fast for resting, so 60-70 resting sounds terrific!

Now, not over 80 even with activity, that's another matter.  Depends what you mean by "strenuous" of course.

I didn't think they used a Holter just for heart rate!

No other drugs or chronic conditions?  Have they already done a resting EKG, echo, stress echo, anything like that?  Blood tests

Of course want to look into the fatigue and all that, but I doubt that it will turn out that cardiac is the cause, it's probably just a side effect of something else.

Have you been eating normally?

• Posted

Hello Aprettyfrost,

I think you are headed in the right direction. An informed, questioning and challenging patient gets better treatment and has the confidence to find/change doctors if necessary.  This board is a good place to hear how others are coping with their problems and get ideas to bring to your doctor. Cardiology is so complicated. It helps me a lot to read what others were doing.

I assume you had an EKG then the doc ordered the Holter monitor which gets a 24 hr. look see if the EKG doesn't show anything.  Those are the first steps. If you are healthy I would have been concerned about your 112 HR and if your GP thought that was ok I would be concerned about being treated by him/her.

I would push to see a cardiologist. I was being treated for very occasional A-Fib?. I changed GPs for not referring me and found a cardiologist I liked on my second try. It made a big difference in my treatment and out come.

Best of luck, keep researching and be your own advocate.

• Posted

One thing you can do is buy a  home Blood Pressure cuff.  They are not that expensive. Amazon to Walmart carry them. It will take and record your BP and HR. You can see what is going on as your symptoms change and it saves readings so you have a record over time. That could help.

I would also say if you think things are quickly getting worse or you feel really bad go to the ER. Don't take chances.

• Posted

A resting heart rate of 60-70 seems entirely normal. 112 does not. When I walk, even briskly, it's hard to get my heart rate up above 90. Sometimes it stays in the high 70's and low 80's. So that doesn't seem too out of the ordinary. Unless you are really pushing yourself where you are really huffing and puffing. What about getting some sort of nutritional analysis? You might be missing something important in your diet. Just something to consider.

• Posted

60-70 is perfectly normal,  your resting at 112 wasnt. As for fatigue maybe you’re anemic? Hope all sorted now though 
  • Posted

60-70 is perfectly normal,  your resting at 112 wasnt. As for fatigue maybe you’re anemic? Hope all sorted now though 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.