Slowly getting terrified of impending colostomy reversal surgery, can anyone advise on how it goes?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a temporary colostomy that is scheduled to be reversed in less than two weeks, and as the date approaches I am rapidly getting more anxious, and am wondering if someone can confirm I am just being irrational?

My surgeon doesn't have open clinics for months out to discuss the surgery, and I just went ahead and scheduled the first opening to make sure it gets done this year, can anyone explain their experience with the surgery / recovery and what it entailed?

I get an enema a few days before the surgery, then check in at 7am day of surgery, and from my understanding the hospital stay is 3-10 days and I'm wondering kind of what that depends on or how they judge when you can go home?

I am wondering things like what to expect when I wake up from surgery, I have read people report having needed tubes inserted up their nose down to their stomachs, and I want to mentally prepare myself for what is coming as I plan to bring books and whatever else I can do while in the hospital.

I am a male in my 30's, overweight but not gigantic (260 lbs at 6 feet tall), non smoker, non anything really.

If anyone could share their experience / recovery time in and out of the hospital, I could use the peace of mind, even if it is horrifying I'd just really appreciate an understanding of what recovery looks like.

Thank you!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rommon. I think you've seen my posts? . My reversal went absolutely fine. It was very straightforward. I didn't have an enema, they don't do that in Australia

My bowel started working normally quite soon after ( can't remember exactly) . The surgery is quite simple, especially after bowel resection, which in my case took hours. It was a mess in there. Try not to read too much about horror stories , this is your story. My surgeon told me it would be fine? And it was. In there about 5 days j think. I have had a few issues since. I have an incisional hernia now

My own fault for lifting my grandson. And I'm 63 so not a young thing any more! So please don't worry . You have come this far.

• Posted

I did see some post surgery complications, sorry to hear you are going through that 😕

I'm aware (from the surgeon) they will need to put drains in where they reconnect it, though I guess I'm wondering things like if you are stuck in bed for multiple days or kind of up the same day moving around?

My main concern is tubes being stuck down my face, that sounds like an absolutely terrible way to wake up from surgery :S

Thank you for your input!

• Posted

I didn't need any kind of drains or anything mind was very straightforward . I was up quickly the next day after both surgeries actually they like you to be up and moving around as much and as as soon as possible. I can understand your worries I've been reading your post and you've had a bad time of it but let's hope this time is all going to go well think positive that is know how you go

• Posted

Yeah my surgeon says its going to be a piece of cake, he was over the top happy with the colonoscopy results from a week or so ago, though I believe a drain is used here to help the internals drain fluids / heal faster?

Did you need an NG Tube as well post surgery? Or did you literally just wake up and wait to pass gas before eating, then heal up and hit the door after 5 days?

I am trying to schedule something with the surgeon or really anyone who can give me a five minute run down of what I am about to go through, I appreciate any input big time!

• Posted

No ng tube. Felt ok when i came out of anaesthetic. I was pretty drugged up and comfortable. Just had to wait until bowel was functioning , strange feeling after having bag. Fairly long recovery, just had to take things easy. All went well. It's great your colonoscopy showed good healing. Good sign.

• Posted

Awesome thanks much for your input, I'm going to talk with someone about the surgery this week, I'm sure I'll post back how it goes 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.