Slowly titrating off Mirtazapine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Anyone have migraines on this taper (alongside insomnia, nausea and anxiety) . I seem to be taking pills to counteract all of these

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Edited

Yes I went cold turkey 4 days ago I was only on 7.5mg and withdrawal is nightmare, horrendous anxiety, feel sick and can't eat, headaches and chills 😯

• Posted

Hi Pamela

I know what you are going through.  I went through the same but if you can,stick with it.  It will get better.  I went cold turkey from 15mg and I had all the dreadful withdrawals you mention.  And it is withdrawal from this horrible drug, don't let the GPs tell you it isn't 

• Posted

Yes i am sure its withdrawal, just worse now into third week. I know you say it will get better, is there anything i can do to help myself, not even off yet, still at 3.75. I am also interested how long it will take to stop these efffects
    • Posted

Okay bear in mind that everyone's experiences with this horrible drug will be different by the very nature of genetic makeup.  I took it for 6 months only and was on a 15mg dosage.  It didn't work for me so I just stopped it dead, no tapering,  nothing.  That was not the sensible option but I didn't realise just how badly this drug gets it's hooks into the system and by the way the doctors refuse to believe that there are any serious withdrawal implications when stopping or tapering this drug.  So after nearly 4 months of cold turkey I can actually say I feel much better.  Mirtazapine is renowned for having a very protracted withdrawal and I would say that 4 months is long time to feel so bad.  The migraine headaches did not last too long, about a week on and off and most of the withdrawals came in windows and waves.  The worst of it all was the crippling insomnia.

Try to get out for a walk every day.  I took probiotics and food that is good for the gut.  I also took magnesium citrate at night which is supposed to help with anxiety and would take a sleeping tablet.  Even deep breathing helped with the panic and anxiety.  I do hope this helps a little bit

• Posted

Thanks for getting back to me christine ? wow four months is a long time! I go out for walks a lot in the woods just over my road, I did 18000 steps the other day lol! I'm taking fish oil and magnesium, b12 and vitamin D. I can bear the nausea, it's just the constant state of panic and anxiety....I know one day it will be over, hate waking up in the morning knowing I have to go through it all again! X

• Edited

It is a long time but I just wanted you to know that it can be done.  All those dreadful feelings of anxiety will disappear and from what you said you are on the right road.  It's just that this drug takes a long time to get the hell out of your life.  But tell yourself it will be worth it. I wish you all the very best for good health

• Posted

Hi Ann

Yes, I had bad migraines that lasted for days, all down the side of my head.  I thought it was a brain tumour but it was just this horrible withdrawal symptoms from mirtazapine 

• Posted

Thank you!  I thought i was having a brain clot or something.  It did go off the next day so waiting to see whats in store today for me.  Did you have nausea a lot too?
    • Posted

I have a lot of nausea can not face food at all! I'm on my 5th day with out no mirtazapine still feeling no better!

• Posted

Yes.  I felt nauseous but didn't vomit.  But there were days when I never ate all day because I just felt sick.  I also went off anything that was sugary or sweet which is probably good thing. 

• Posted

Poor you, but you know its only the side effects and will eventually go.  Hang on in there. Here if you want to ask questions
  • Posted

I cant take these symptoms anymore!!! When will it be over? ?? I am trying to stay strong for my little boy my body is in a state of constant horrendous anxiety....it's been 5 days now since I stopped taking them I just want to feel normal again 😢😢😢😢😢😢😢

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.