SLT procedure next week for Glaucoma

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, i have glaucoma with some blindness in my right eye, which appears to be getting worse. My eye pressures are about 22 left eye and 24 right eye. My consultant has suggested an SLT procedure as the first course of action. I agreed but since reading some horror stories about this procedure am scared witless. Could anyone tell me of their experiences please? Thanking you in anticipation

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Easy painless procedure, very fast, just a few minutes. Hope it works. 
    • Posted

Thank you Dancer64, do you know how successful this procedure is? I have read all the scare stories which have freaked me out. My Consultant never has the time to discuss anything with me, so I am in the dark, so to speak, having agreed to this procedure as he said there were no side effects at all!
    • Posted

As I said it is painless, fast, next response says total 1.5 hrs waiting for drops to work.  I was in/out within 1/2 hr.  Unfortunately it did not help my pressure but certainly worth a try as next response says it helped her. 
    • Posted

Thank you very much for this information, it has made me feel much happier
  • Posted

I had it ages ago, my pressures were round about 28!     They told me it would take about 1 1/2 hours, and that was worrying.    But what actually hapenned was nowhere near as bad.       They put drops in the eye, (completely painless) and then cleared off without a word leaving me in the waiting room.     After about an hour, they came and took me to the laser room.     Squirted some jelly in eye (painless). and then put something like a jeweller's eyeglass in eye with upper and lower lids over the edge of it, so I couldn't blink even if I wanted to.    They then sat me in front of laser machine, and I could see the end of the laser gun quite clearly.    They then said they would try one shot, to see how it felt.    It was the very slightest stinging sensation, nowhere near painful.    They asked if I was happy for them to continue, and I said yes.   They then put 25 more laser shots in, over about 20 seconds, and then told me to sit back for about ten seconds.   That was follwed by 25 more, and a rest, then another 25, and then the last 25 - 100 in total.     They then pulled the contact lens out, and all I could see was a grey blur, (caused by the jelly).    This began to clear within seconds, and sight was back to normal before a minute had gone by.      They told me to go away, and come back in an hour.   They didn't even cover the eye up.   I wandered about feeling quite normal.    When I returned, they checked the pressure, said it was OK, and let me go home.     The procedure itself took less than 5 minutes.    I always felt that they should have told me this, rather than saying it would take 1 1/2 hours and not mentioning the fact that most of that time was waiting from the drops to work!.    Apparently, SLT does not damage the eye, or puncture it, like other procedures do.     It must have been about 9 years ago now, and still have perfect sight in that eye.  (I am 73).     Maybe someone else will give their experiences with it!  

• Posted

Hi Alcantara, thank you very much for this step by step account of your experience. It has put my mind at rest. You read such horror stories and while I know there is no guarantee of this procedure working my consultant said there were no side effects. When you read some people's experiences it's enough to freak you out completely. So thank you very much for replying with that account of what exactly happens

• Posted

I have Glacomau possibly early stage but my eye sight is still better. I also have dry AMD still possibly not in advanced stage. Can you explain what SLT is and also how can I contact the Docs/ hospitals abroad who carry out such ops.  I never heard this term SLT from our eye Drs here. I will also be asking the local eye Drs the above details in case this procedure is  done. My Rt Eye eye sight has decreased since my problems were diagnosed in Oct 2015.
    • Posted

Hi there, my consultant said SLT is a laser procedure whereby small drainage holes are made in the meshwork thus allowing the aqueous humor to drain more easily. It may help reduce the pressure behind the eye. I hope this helps
  • Posted

What the others did not tell you here is that it is not a cure. You will have to continue taking drops for life otherwise the pressure will rise again unless you have surgery or repeat the procedure a few limited times when the pressure rises.
    • Posted

Hi Lester, thank you for your comment, so is there any point to the procedure? I knew it wouldn't help me regain my lost sight but was told I wouldn't need medication afterwards. Is this incorrect?

• Posted

As Lester said, it is not permanent.    I also had to carry on with drops after it.    But one thing I did notice, the vision gradually improved considerably.    It was always OK close-up, but a bit fuzzy at long distance without glasses.    For years now, (since the SLT) it has been crystal clear at long distance without glasses, but I still need reading glasses for perfect focus.    They assure me that it wasn't the SLT that caused the improvement of long-distance focus, but I am just grateful that it did.      I suppose everyone is different, but as for the procedure itself, it is nothing to worry about!      At my last visual fields test a few days ago, the field of vision in both eyes was excellent.

• Posted

Thank you, it is most confusing as to why they have suggested the SLT as my consultant said after the procedure I wouldn't need drops, yet most of the things I have read indicate that is not the case. Thank you for reassuring me that the procedure isn t as horrendous as some people have indicated.

• Posted

Hi, I am 59 with elevated eye presssures (for at least 3yrs), normal sight-to date. I had SLT in one eye about a yr ago and second eye 6months ago. It was a very simple proceedure and also much shorter in duration than I expected. The only side effect was extreme sensitivity to light for 24hrs-to the extent I needed sunglasses indoors. It really is nothing to be afraid of in any way. I went alone on public transport and continued my day as normal afterwards.

When I left hosital after the first procedure my pressure had dropped to 14 from 22 pre op. Strangely, when I left after second procedure pressure was 26 up from 21 pre op.

Neither SLP procedures were successful, various drops have only reduced readings by 3 points, all with horrendous side effects. It will be interesting to see what hospital next suggests as my readings were 24/29 yesterday at my field test. I am fortunately past the extreme anxiety about all this (helped hugely by a mindfulness course).

• Posted

Hi, thank you for putting my mind at rest about the SLT procedure. I am sorry it didn't work for you though. I wonder why with your second eye procedure your pressure was raised. I think mindfulness would probably do me good as I am dreadfully fearful about glaucoma. Good luck with your next hospital appointment.

• Posted

Good luck too.

Mindfulness does help deal with the immediate and helps put 'things behind doors' until needed, which in turn frees up more mind space/energy. (it did for me anyway). 

I would suggest taking sunglasses when you go just in case you are sensitive to light too. The procedure does have a reasonable success rate, hopefully it will work for you X

Take care

• Posted

Hello...about mindfulness...what do actually do about this and how...I am not far away from all what I read having just returned from hospital ,160 km away...gets too complicated!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.