Sludge and Mild Pancreatitis

Posted , 9 users are following.

Testing has showed sludge buildup in my gallbladder. I also have slightly elevated Lipase and Amylase levels for about two months. I am having constant aches in my URQ but would not describe it as an "attack". The pain does not get better or worse after eating, it just lingers all day and gets worse when driving my work truck with stiff suspension. All scans of the pancreas show no abnormalities as well. My GI doc is telling me that sludge has most likely been making it's way through the bile ducts and has been irritating my pancreas. I am also lacking the energy I once had. The diagnosis makes sense to me and the doc wants the GB out. Can anyone comment on this with your own opinions? Thanks!

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

I reveiwed your message a couple of times and didn't see where you said the gallbladder had been scanned.  If so, did it show stones?  Have you ever had an elevated temperature with the pain?  I lean toward having the GB out if this continues and your doctor thinks the pancreas is being effected.  No way would I mess with that escalating!  Hope you find the best answer soon and can feel better.
  • Posted

I know that before I had mine out, I sought other opinions. I did not have much of a choice because of the size of the gallstone. It was scrapping up the sides of my GB and this hurt like crazy. Do you have gallstones?
  • Posted

The gallbladder has been scanned and there are no stones. I had an MRCP that showed abnormal "fluid buildup" in the gallbladder. Multiple docs have told me that it is most likely sludge.
    • Posted

The gallbladder has been scanned and there are no stones. I had an MRCP that showed abnormal "fluid buildup" in the gallbladder. Multiple docs have told me that it is most likely sludge. Also I have not had any fever.
  • Posted

Are you constipated at all? Sounds to me as if it could be faecal impaction.

Look this up on ionternet. I have recently had this.

Yoc could try laxido which you can get on prescription.

Other than that eat more fruit and veg. Plenty of fibre.

I had my gallbladder removed at end of April due to gallstones.

If your doctor suggests you have your gallbladder removed make sure they also tell you the consequences of this and how long it takes to recover.

Read other posts regarding this and do not be fobbed off with "You'll be fine in 3 weeks it's only a bit of keyhole surgery."

I am better than I was and do not regret having my gallbladder removed, but I just wish doctors had been more honest about the recovery period.

Hope this helps.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xxx

• Posted

That is great news!  You have done a wonderful job of covering all the bases,  Keep track of whether the pancreas is still being effected and what then the doctor is saying about how to continue, is you are still not feeling well.
    • Posted

Thanks Sally, I am getting blood drawn Monday for liver and pancreatic function. On a side note I have developed a new symptom of on and off tingling in both hands and feet for the last couple of days. It is probably anxiety related as I have had over two months of dealing with this issue. That or my pancreas is not functioning properly which is leading to a deficiency somewhere....

Who knows!!!

• Posted

Good work!  I'm happy about the testing.  Keep on top of it and don't let it slip by.  Hope you are, and I think you are getting close to solving the puzzle!  The human body presents itself in a fabulous variety of ways!
  • Posted

SAME exact issues but think its all due to my pancreas even though I have sludge I dont think thats the cause. Hope you got answers????
  • Posted

I have the same thing for many years. Did you remove the gb?
  • Posted

Hi there, I am in the same position it would appear as a few folks on here, I don't show as having any gallstones therefore my surgeon is reluctant to remove my GB, however I have all the symptoms, if I eat any meat, even lean chicken I get symptoms of pancreatisis, this makes me feel very poorly for a few days, so back to no fat at all, living on veg only and some fruit gives me no energy and so on a horrible cycle.  I don't have constipation but I do have foul smelling runny bowel movements, especially when I eat any type of fat at all.  I do believe like you that I don't have a liver or pancreas disease but it is sludge in the GB, how was yours resolved?? Best wishes.

• Posted

Did you resolve your issue?? Because I think I'm having exactly the same symptoms like you are! I have been told long ago I have bile sludge in gallbladder but I never took attention until I developed symptoms of dull pain all day long on the URQ and ULQ. It is like both pancreas is sore and gallbladder. I would say pancreas sore more than gallbladder. I also sometimes get sick and nauseous but not often. But the most symptom annoying me is also tingling in my hands and feet! It is like tingling and itchy!

Please let me know how you resolved this or if anyone else had it - what should we do? I don't have stones, I don't have fever.

• Posted

I don't know as I went to GP yesterday and he said I'm not jaundice so it is unlikely that I have itching because of problems with gallbladder or liver or pancreas. But he said we will do liver function test and some others that will look how pancreas is working. I'm not sure what type of test exactly for pancreas..

my pain is not stabbing, it more feels like I'm bruised there... when you touch a place on your skin which is bruised you would get the pain - that's how I feel on both sides and it feels like you want to change the position to get relief.

I don't have severe case like other who started topics here so I feel abbot embarrassed that I'm complaining about it to GP. I also got referred to ultrasound. I just thought why should I wait till he point when I'm really bad? And especially the worst symptom is itching - I take clarythin and it goes away for 1 or 2 days and then again. I don't want to take medicine all the time and I want to sort this problem as me and my husband wanted to plan to have kids..

What other symptoms do you have? Is it really bad? You are saying it is stabbing but how severe is it? And did you go to gp?

• Posted

Hey ThatGirl1988, did your problems ever get resolved? I seem to be having very similar issues but without the itching.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.