Small amount of blood in catherter

Posted , 8 users are following.

So I’ve been a paraplegic for seven years, I’m a T-2 (so I can’t feel anything below the chest). Through my first seven years ( six an a half years!) I never used an internal cath I just used disposable brief.

About my second and a half year in I started catching really bad UTI were I had to be hospitalized for a few days. Until recently I’m starting to catch UTIs more frequently. Before I would have one UTI a year around the same time. Now for the first time I’ve caught 2 of them within a four month period. My doctors now are trying to push me to cath more.

So I have started catching myself but I have apprehension. My biggest one is sometime when I cath I reach a point of resistance (which I presume is the prostate). When I hit this resistance sometime just a a lil moving around an some pressure an the cath will go in. But sometimes I come back with a small amount of blood an that’s what worrying me.

My question is is that normal sometimes?

Also

Should I be worried about doing any long term damage?

And 

Any suggestions on methods I should use for cathing?

Will further cathing (after I had a session that ended up with a very small amount of blood) cause the area not to heal?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It's common for some blood in the beginning. Less common for visible blood down the line. I find hydrophillic catheters better than the ones requiring external lubricant. Coloplast's Speedicath are a good start in size FR14. If you don't have BPH/LUTS then use the straight model. Use the coude (curved) model if you have a prostatic obstruction. You might also want to check over at the Care Cure Community site over at Rutgers that has a lot of SCI members participating.

Jim

• Posted

In my experience bleeding doesn't necessarily follow bleeding. The cath seems to have caught but next time doesn't. It also goes in more easily after first trying to urinate without it, although this might not be possible for a paraplegic. Good luck!  Paul

• Posted

From my experience, smaller size catheter makes it easier, especially for beginner. After you get a hang of it, you can increase the size. Also, if you can, stop cathing for couple days to give the injury a chance to heal. Hank

• Posted

Hi, I had the same problem when I started out self cathing. I kept trying different catheters as well as size until I found the right one and the bleeding and problems stopped. I ended up using the Cure Hydrophillic Coude in size 12. That works well for me but everyone is different. Just get samples until you find what works for you. Good luck... Riggs
  • Posted

Hey thanks  you guys thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. 

• Posted

What kind of catheters are you using ?  For me the red rubber catheters with water soluble lube are the least likely to cause bleeding.  You might have to go up one size with them since they are more flexable. If your using the hydrophylic type it might help to put on some of the water soluble lube even though it is prelubed.  If you have BPH it might help to take Flomax to relax the prostate.

Thomas

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.