Small Bowel MRI

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all.

Had first app with gastro Doctor today, he’s referring me off for a MRI on small bowels. Anyone had one of those before? X

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi hayley, I had my small bowel MRI too...Nothing to worry....and good thing is you won't have radiations as we have in CT scans...Mine came back Normal...It was just to see the full wall thickness of small bowel and any abnormality, in surrounding tissues etc.. All the best for your test..Hope it comes back normal toobiggrin

• Posted

Hi smile

I’m so glad that you MRI when okay smile I’m hoping mine will be tooX thank you x

• Posted

My gastro Doctor didn’t say 😏 he just said he was referring for a MRI on small bowel, but everyone I’ve spoken to who had the same had to drink a drink over 45 minutes and then a injection too. So I guess I’ll just have to wait for a letter x

• Posted

Yes in my case the test was MR enterography...which is a MRI with contrast which allows you to see small bowel in detail...So had to drink contrast material as well as when I was in MRI machine they inject me with contrast in my vein so they can see any defect in blood vessels of small bowel...So yes if that is MR enterography, which is specific type of MRI of small bowel, YOU will have to drink contrast as well as they will give you injection too..But nothing scary..believe me, when you will know howmuch that will help you in your diagnosisbiggrin
  • Posted

Hi hayley, Yes in my case the test was MR enterography...which is a MRI with contrast which allows you to see small bowel in detail...So had to drink contrast material as well as when I was in MRI machine they inject me with contrast in my vein so they can see any defect in blood vessels of small bowel...So yes if that is MR enterography, which is specific type of MRI of small bowel, YOU will have to drink contrast as well as they will give you injection too..But nothing scary..believe me, when you will know howmuch that will help you in your diagnosisbiggrin
  • Posted

Thankyou smile I’m finally at ease now! Just wish my doctor told me as it’s only because I’m on these forums I have seen that’s what I have to have done lol!!

Also... have you had a Calprotectin stool test? Normal tang is under 50, mine was 117, does this mean deffo IBD? Or could it be something else?

X

• Posted

Hi Heyley, Yes I had my stool calprotectin test, which was normal...But stool calprotectin is quite non specific...It can be higher in any infection, inflammation, malignancies....So we cannot say anything with just calprotectin level...My GP  said if you have severe attack of IBS then also during that time it can be elevated....So the normal course of action is first they check for stool routine micro with stool culture, calprotectin and if they rule out infection they can go further with another investigations regarding any inflammatory diseases...Small bowel MRI is mainly for any inflammatory disease in small bowel...But 117 level is not that high...And we always have to correlate any findings with our symptoms...In IBD you have sudden weight loss, frequent bloody diarrhea, fatigue, mild fever, recurrent oral ulcers etc....So everything should be included....SO I think your MRI will be very helpful to rule out IBD....I am saying rule out because I wish you get your MRI normalbiggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.