Small Bowel MRI

Posted , 2 users are following.

I live in the Uk and I am waiting on a small Bowel MRI. I have read that you need to drink Klean Prep in the department before the scan. To me this sounds strange giving you a laxative before having a scan. Is it not enough to make you run to the toilet as I’m a bit anxious about going home after.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm in the UK too and when I was booked in for a small bowel MRI I was told not to eat anything for 2 hours before the scan, then on arrival I would have to drink this solution that highlighted bowel for the MRI scan. I was also told that a contrast dye would be injected to add an extra level of highlighting, plus maybe given Buscopan to slow the bowel down to enable clearer images. I've never heard of a laxative being administered, however the contrast drink can have a laxative effect.

In the end I didn't have it as I had two other doctors opinions into my symptoms and they were both adamant that I didn't need one, even though I had two, separate, positive faecal calprotectin results. As I wasn't experiencing malnutrition, malabsorption,  loss of weight, diarrhoea, bleeding or generally being much more ill than I was, they were convinced that I had a combination of IBS with food intolerances.

• Posted

I have to fast from midnight then arrive at the hospital 90 minutes before my scan. They say you have to drink Klean Prep or similar over an hour then you get the scan. You also get injected with the dye and may get Buscopan. The Klean Prep just seemed strange to me as the laxative could start to work by the time they go to scan you.
    • Posted

Weird how different hospitals perform the same procedure in totally different ways. I guess you'll need the Buscopan as the Klean Prep would probably be making your bowels overactive, so they'll have to slow it down somehow to get clear images. Some laxatives can work very quickly, but it does seem that you would probably going through the effects at the time of your MRI. Personally I would contact the hospital and express your concerns, I can't imagine they'd risk you messing up their expensive scanning equipment, so they must have an idea of how the whole procedure will go.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.