Small bump/cyst on lower eyelid

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have what looks like a tiny cyst on my lower eyelid, right near the lashes.  I used to use an eye pencil, and I think I may have infected an oil gland or hair follicle. It has been there for about six months, doesn't bother me particiularly, but I do know that that particular eye has always been more sensitive than the other. I use baby wipes to remove eye make up, but haven't worn makeup for some time.  It is possible that the eye pencil or mascara has become infected.  I have thrown out all my older mascaras, and will invest in a new eye pencil, but not the type that I used previously, which you had to use a sharpener a it resembled a conventional pencil.

Have been to optician who says eye health and cornea is healthy.  Visited my doctor's surgery, and a nurse advised that it was a stye.  I used to have a lot of styes when I was in my teens, and it is not ike those, because they grew, developed a yellow pus and burst, and then cleared up.  The nurse said that the stye has become infected, and recommended applying hot compresses to the area, whch I have been doing for the last three days with no noticeable change.  I dont think it is a chalazion.  Pretty sure that something has become blocked causing an infection.

Any suggestions. please?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I think you might have to keep up the warm compresses for a while to see a result. Use cotton wool pads and water as hot as you can take without burning your skin.

another way you can try is a gel pack heated in the microwave ( 10 second bursts only or they explode !) or even a hot water bottle wrapped in a pillowcase or tea towel. 

• Posted

Many thanks.  I have been doing that for the last couple of days.  I am just not sure what it is.  It is tiny.  Optometrist said it is a skin tag. It isn't.  Nurse, said it is a stye,  It isn't.  Styes don't last longand they are painful.  This thing isn't.

I think it is a reaction to the eye pencil or mascara, but most likely the eye pencil.  Problem with the eye pencil is that you have to sharpen them, and it is possible that a small splinter entered the eyelid and set this thing in motion.  Will keep going with the hot compresses.  I have been using a clean wash cloth, but have to keep running it under the tap to maintain heat.

I have those things that you can put in the microwave, they are not gel packs.  They hold the heat better, and they do give off a moisture, so maybe one of those wrapped in a towel?

• Posted

Are you in the GB?
    • Posted

It could be blocked gland cyst.regular  Cleaning eyes is essential. I used wet ones.. Blue packet £1.20 ish from Bo,,,,,,s the chemist. Cut in four and clean eyes with them morning and night and over time it has helped clear my cysts.
    • Posted

I've done it all . I'm just so tired of dealing with this. It started out of the blue well after sons cancer diagnosis which affected us mentally and physically .

I've done baby shampoo, wet ones cut in small pieces, Vaseline for eyes, four eye RX, about 5 co pays 5 different opinions, allergy shots over a year and now forever , replaced all bedding .....this chat helped me find lots of ideas.

Just saying tired of it 😬

• Posted

Hi,

I'm in USA but I just found a similar sounding "style" on my lower right eyelid but it doesn't hurt at all.

I started with blepharitis about 3 years ago can't remember . Went to eye surgeon, opthomalogist, and Allergist. all 3 had a different diagnosis. That made me feel like they dont't know what they are looking at.

After a lot of medications, baby shampoo, Wet Ones, hot compresses, etc. I started allergy shots. It's now a year since I started those and now I get a once a month shot. I changed eye make up to a natural company and tossed out all my beloved all makeup. I used to only use eyeliner and mascara. Now just eyeliner no mascara due to alopecia. Don't want to aggregate what little I have left.

I have slight rosacia as well. I am post menopause and have dry skin.

Now due to extreme DRY eyes my optho advised I start Restasis. 

BTW all along this path our son had brain cancer and passed 2015. all the crying probably didn't help and I still cry everyday. The Restasis seems to be working but doctor said it could take up to 6 weeks for it to really work. so the latest is this tiny little blip on my lower eyelid. At first it was a little itchy now nothing.

Due to all the grief and pain we are going through I'm just not doing anything about it right now.

I know when I went to Florida a year ago the blepharitis was the worst it's ever been.

My allergist said get rid of all down quilts. Wash bedding in hot water frequently and get dust mite mattress covers. I did all that too. I also vacuum more often these days to keep dust level down.

Even with all the time and $$$ I spent on this blepharitis I still feel my eyelids could blow up at any moment.

But I'm starting to think the eye line was the culprit all the time. It was L'Oreal pencil perfect. Love it now trashed...

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.  The tears aver very cleansing, though.

I have lived in New York and San Francisco, now back in the UK.  The product in question was a L'Oreal eye pencil!

• Posted

use eye shaow for eyeliner, apply it with a clean qtip, no double dipping. i hane a little white bump also. it dosent bother me at all.

• Posted

I have switched over the eye shadow, as I prefer a softer, smokey look, rather than the harder lines.  Was a fashion and image consultant in New York and San Francisco, and did a lot of product  publicity for Yardley.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.