Small infection

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all I am now nearly six weeks post op, i am still very swollen, about the same as after operation but yesterday I woke up to what looked like a small bungion had returned.. My son in law who is a nurse suggested I went to get it checked at my GPs. Looks like I have a small infection in what I think is the skin.. I think that maybe there is a stich that has not been removed.. It's very sore around that area... So am now on Penicillin four times a day.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Oh no. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it will sort the problem out and hopefully you will progress form there.  I had a small lump at the end of my scar and it is still there at one end but think it is just where the incision ends.

i do hope you fell better soon.  My swelling is only bad when I am on my feet too much or try a pair of shoes that are not trainers!!

destined to be scruffy for the next few months I guess!

stay positive. 😀

• Posted

Thanks Sue, my lump looks just like a small bungion.. I thought my bungion at returned, well I hope it hasn't .....😮
  • Posted

Hi. You must have been really delighted, Swampiesue, when you saw what appeared to be a bunion there after your trials and tribulations following its removal!! I hope the infection goes soon from your foot. Taking antibiotics is not nice! Just to update folk on my foot (scarf and akin osteotomy): I wore normal shoes today for the first time (7 weeks and 6 days post-op) as I had a job interview. Up until today I had worn an unlaced trainer without the insole (normal trainer on the other foot) or Teva strap sandals. Today, I had a job interview consisting of eight mini-interviews and I didn't fancy explaining to every interviewer why I wasn't wearing shoes! I wore Clarks "Funny Dream" shoes which are the only shoes I have which are of the correct size for both my feet at the moment. My surgeon approves of them as well. They are not girlie but I don't care! The problem which restricts my footwear use is the swelling and the problem site in most shoes is the far end of the laces from which point on there is no width adjustment. I was a bit worried the other day when the scar leaked some blood suddenly but my podiatrist said not too worry as it was probably just blood tracking along the suture hole at the end of the scar! I can cycle (rigid, generous shoes) but my walking is not yet normal as my foot doesn't roll forward properly and apparently arthritic changes in the ball of my foot mean the flexibility there may always be restricted to its current 50 degrees (90 degrees in the other foot) but I am not sure that matters much. I am pretty pleased so far as the bunion I had would only have got worse. We'll see how I get on with running and climbing (gently)! Good luck all.
    • Posted

Wow Nicola. That sounds great...you must be really pleased.  Am back at consultant today to find out how much bend I can expect as per physio advice.  Also my circulation is not great so needing to keep up the hot and cold treatment in the evenings.

onwards and upwards! 

• Posted

No Nicola not pleasant, I am beginning to wonder if this swelling will ever go down, at the moment I am not sure if I will ever be able to get into my normal shoes. The only thing I can see me wearing at the moment it flip flops.. i am going to the hospital tommorow for my 6 week appointment so will see what my consultant says, if I get to see him that is, otherwise it's the registrar I guess..
    • Posted

Hi Sue. I'd be interested to hear what you find out about the bend. The hot and cold treatment is effective. I have developed a small crop of thick black hair on the top of my foot over the site of the operation which is due to increased blood flow to the area while it heals, I am told!!
    • Posted

Hi Swampiesue. Good luck. Progress takes a while with swelling apparently - up to a year for full normality I've heard! Hope your infection clears soon. They have a mind ot their own anyway, these foot scars! Healing is a complex (and interesting) process, I've realised, but the foot knows best! All the best.
    • Posted

Just back from consultant. No reason I shouldn't get full bend back but he said to be happy with 45-50 degree.  Will post a new topic as I have also found out other things today that I didn't know!
  • Posted

Poor you, that's not nice at all.Hope it goes quickly and doesn't set you back too much. Hope the swelling reduces quickly too, good luck.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.