Small lump behind left e ar.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have a small lump behind left ear, not painful or hurts when pressed. Sleeping on my left side when in bed asleep

obviously ear and lump get warm. Next morning the lump has almost disappeared. About half an hour after getting up and about the lump has reappeared. This will happen each night but not when sleeping on right side.

Could he lump be a swollen lymph node? Why ?.?does it reduce during the night and recur during the day.

Could anyone explain this please.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Hey Colin, I think if it is directly behind the Ear it is more likely to be a Cyst or a small fatty build up, a cyst can fill and drain depending on all sorts of bodily conditions, such as your Hydration level or if it is bumped about, both are mostly harmless, but if bothersome you should get it checked out for peace of mind. Even if it did turn out to be the Lymph Nodes, it could be a small infection or blockage that could both go on their own. But again, if the symptoms are worrying you, just go get it checked out. I remember a fatty lump called a Ganglion on the wrist being quite common, and a popular way to rid of the would be to hit it with a book, but I really wouldn't recommend that as it in itself could cause/spread an infection. Using a Warm compress could help you out. I hope this is of use 😃

• Posted

Hi pistal666'

Thank you for your helpful reply. What I did not mention in my original post was that I did have an infection just above the ear near to the hairline when I squeezed a blackhead and caused an infection which was treated by antibiotics prescribed by my GP, which cleared up quickly. It was following that infection that the lump was first noticed but that must be about 18 months ago. I suppose that could have some bearing on my question do you think?

• Posted

Hey Colin63860,

I think you are right to link the two, perhaps the infection triggered the new lump to pop up. Or if it is directly on the site of infection, there is a possibility it is scar tissue which would stay roughly the same size..................I think it is one of the earlier possibilities. I hope you find your remedy 😃

• Edited

Thanks again Pristal, comments much appreciated.

Kind regards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.