Small patches of dead skin layers

Posted , 2 users are following.

I occasionally find a little raised lump of dead skin on my shoulders. They're maybe 4mm in diameter and darker than the rest of my skin. They're not freckles, moles or liver spots, they just scrape off with a finger nail. The skin underneath is obviously new and pink but not damaged - what I'm pulling off is dead skin. it's not like I'm pulling off a live piece of tissue.

I've just found something similar on my nipples (I'm male). Several small patches, darker than pink, 1mm. Again, they just scrape off, like dead skin.

I do get patches on my jaw - I think those are called granuloma. These other ones aren;t grainy, though they're just dead skin.

I'm not worried that they're a problem, I'd just like to read up on them to know their cause. But I don't even know how to describe them to Google.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Can anyone suggest the right words so I can at least read up on it?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Edit: Well, judging by the pics when Googling 'granuloma', that is not what I have, either on my jaw or my back or nipples.

• Posted

Just a few questions you have done a good job describing it Does it spread ? Does it itch?

could be psoriasis. See a doc for a culture test of skin for diagnosis. To treat efficiently.

could be yeast on body too. Don't pull off skin can cause infection. 

Imhave psoriasis which is patched of skin leaving scales and very itchy, also i have shingles i hope the area has no fluid in bumps and scales. See pics online for these skin issues. 

• Posted

Sorry. Completely forgot to mention: no itching, no irritation.

These are not in the skin, they are on top of the skin, like ... a little mesa of extra skin. But they're darker.

And they're dry. No fluids or lymph.

• Posted

Like the grey areas on these feet, only one at a time and about 5mm diameter om the back of my shoulder.

Until I noticed them on my areola. These are smaller, and several of them, almost like little scabs, but not moist.

• Posted

Your feet look sore. How long have you had this skin issue?

i would not hesitate to sema doc asap. Meds and treatment once a skin sample is taken can identify and treat . Skin is the largest organ in the body. 

It needs vitamins minerals . Sometime low on b vitamins or d can cause skin issues. It is really nest to know for sure and put your mind at peace to see a doctor. 

What have you done or used on your skin to treat this ?

could be dry skin? 

• Posted

No,those aren't my feet. smile It's just a pic off the internet to show you the raised grey skin.

My patche(s) are just 5mm.

• Posted

Got a pic of it.

(This is the one on my back. It's really the one's on my areolae that have me concerned.)

• Posted

Ah. Wife to the rescue.

seborrheic keratosis

It does occur on the nipples.

Harmless. Cause unknown. No treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.