Small raised, skin coloured bumps, some that are itchy and flaking in places. Please help.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I’m new to this whole ‘asking the internet for answers’ thing but I’m at a loose-end and don’t know what else to try sad

I’m 20 years old and have been wearing make-up since I was 14, I’ve never had any issues with any foundation in the past and have always tried out new brands at regular intervals.

Then in March of this year, I purchased a No.7 compact foundation called Stay Perfect and developed a small series of pimples under my nose which come and go but never really heal (the skin is always red now and I still have these pimples to this day!)

So I decided that I would start taking better care of my skin, as up until that point I had not been wearing any moisturiser, or cleansing or toning my skin at all, just exfoliating occasionally.

So I bought the Simple range of cleanser, toner and a light moisturiser and foolishly started exfoliating my skin with the Clean and Clear facial scrub 2 times a day as well as my Simple routine.

My face began to feel horrible, and to this day still does even though I gave up on the routine months ago. It felt tight on my cheeks when I smiled, felt ‘thinner’ (is the only way I can describe it, as though my skin was worn away…) and then the final insult; a series on little skin coloured bumps appeared on my cheeks, jawline and under my jawline.

These bumps are my nemesis! Obviously, I stopped using the Simple Range and the foundation and went to Boots to ask for advice. The woman said that I’d exfoliated too much and gave me a gently cleansing lotion and a SuperLight foundation in the No.7 range.

The little bumps seemed to go away for a bit, but the ones under my nose did not budge, they became dry and flaky some days and really sore and stingy the next. 

I had also been using E45 cream on my face to get rid of the little bumps, which seemed to work. (But I’m using it now and the bumps won’t go!)

Still suffering with the pimples under my nose I decided to get a more expensive cleaning product (Liz Earle) I figured that if a cheaper product was bad, then maybe you get what you pay for, so I spent way too much on a Hot Cloth cleanser, toning spray and moisturizer, then decided to buy a Clinique foundation (as I’d heard they were good for your skin and were allergy tested)  

The woman at Clinique was helpful, recommending me the Anti-Aging Repairwear foundation which I was in love with as it made my skin look amazing, I received compliments about my skin from people who would never compliment me before! Plus it stayed put all day, I thought I’d cracked it….

Then the problems returned, this time worse than ever...

After a week of wearing the foundation, the little bumps returned and this time some of them were sore to touch and all over the right side of my cheek (the other side was fine for some reason and never really seems to get many bumps despite it having exactly the same amount of product and care as the other side)

I decided to test all the new products I’d bought on different areas of my body and see if any places reacted. The new Liz Earle moisturiser reacted straight away, revealing little bumps, so I stopped using it.

But the bumps didn’t go away, and even though the foundation hadn’t left any bumps on other areas of my skin, it seemed to still be affecting my face.

Now, I can’t seem to wear any foundation without the bumps appearing, or any cleaning product for that matter! Even giving up and not washing or putting anything on my face, sometimes a new bump comes up…

The final straw was yesterday, I used a body lotion after shaving, not on my face but on the rest of my body, the next evening I noticed similar bumps to that on my face now on my knees, elbows breasts and collar bone. I don’t know what’s causing this!

I checked for ingredients, researched, researched, researched….. thought it could be phenoxyethanol, so used a L’Oreal foundation and Max Factor that didn’t have this ingredient as everything else that was causing bumps had! But still the bumps grew angry and developed further….

So now I’m sitting here with a lumpy textured face feeling disgusting and just wanting to rip my skin off and start a fresh!

I understand this was a lengthy statement, but does anyone have any idea what this could be? Have I washed so much my skin is now allergic to everything it touches? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

All I can suggest is you see a Doctor and or a Dermatologist. It obviously is quite upsetting for you. 
  • Posted

You have been very careful by testing on other body areas and thought of everything, I believe.  But, I do think that now is a good time to see the Dermatologist.  Your skin is very sensitive. - *One thing to try while you are waiting for the dermatologist appointment, is try a little Triple Antibiotic OIntment - or Bacitracin Ointment on a little 1-inch area to see if that stops the redness and inflammation.  I think you have microscopic scratches in the skin which have become infected and maybe some pores have gotten clogged.  Perhaps a broad-spectrum antibiotic like Amoxicillin would help -- the doctor will have to determine this.  And once it is cleared - the doctor will tell you what skin lotions/cleansers to use.  Might also try a little vinegar on a small area to see if that stops the redness.  BUT, definitely see the doctor.  The skin is considered our largest organ!  It is really important.   Best wishes!
  • Posted

Hi, have you heard of Perioral Dermatiti?. Have a look on here or maybe google images (as the photo on here is quite extreme). I had similar for months then went to see a dermatologist and he diagnosed it before i'd even sat in his chair. Took a while to clear as I was pregnant at the time and couldnt use any of the recommended treatments but it got better with using simple products without all of the chemicals in. He recommended Cetaphil face wash and Aveeno Cream. Do not use steroids as this will make it worse. Have a look and see what you think!
  • Posted

Think you may be stressing your skin out by using products that are to harsh and unnecessary for young skin. You should really see a GP who will refer you to a dermatologist, if needed. In the mean time just wash your face with a gentle cleaner and use a day moisturiser. Stop using exfoliates and toners. Try to stay make-up free if possible, if you can't, powder, tinted or BB foundations will allow your skin to 'breath' more than liquids. Keep all brushes very clean and don't ever share your make-up with anyone.

Keep well-hydrated and eat well and again see your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.