Small, soft stools but difficult to pass!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone else get this. On the Bristol Stool Chart I would say I'm often passing no.5 but although they are small, soft pieces they don't come out that easily (sometimes with a bit of mucous). It worries me as I always associate difficulty passing as being constipated but wouldn't that mean hard, pebbly stools? I'm confused and worried.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Do you drink plenty of water and include plenty of fibre in your diet?
    • Posted

I do drink loads. I am on the low fodmap diet and although I had this before I went on the diet it's returned again. I eat oats and veg so think I have enough fibre but not sure?!

• Posted

If you are on the elimination stage of the Low Fodmap Diet, this can cause constipation because you are cutting out a lot of the fibre you would normally eat.   You may need a lot more fibre in your diet than you are taking since you are still constipated.
    • Posted

When I was diagnosed years ago with IBS I was told to eat 30g of fibre a day, if that helps you work it out. Fibre comes from other foods as well as fruit and vegetables. 

• Posted

Try eating lots of fruit and vegetables and try prune juice if your stools are difficult to pass.  Don’t worry about anything else.
    • Posted

Prune juice really worked for me when I was really backed up and nothing else was helping.
  • Posted

omg same!!! Well mine is a bit harder but today, I had constipation- ish AND diarrhea at the same time. Like It would be liquidity but there are a few small and THIN (also it breaks apart so it's soft i guess) pieces. Got colon cancer scares again. I just turned 14 and I have so much bad anxiety and colon cancer scares really messes with my mind. Now I'm stressed out with the constipation and diarrhea at the same time. Could just be IBS maybe?

• Posted

Sounds like IBS whivh is more likely at your age.   If you get very backed up you can get hard stools first followed by diarrhoea.  This is called fecal impaction.  This is a simpler, less worrying explanation.  Concentrate on a more positive outlook with help from your doctor.
  • Posted

omg same!!! Well mine is a bit harder but today, I had constipation- ish AND diarrhea at the same time. Like It would be liquidity but there are a few small and THIN (also it breaks apart so it's soft i guess) pieces. Got colon cancer scares again. I just turned 14 and I have so much bad anxiety and colon cancer scares really messes with my mind. Now I'm stressed out with the constipation and diarrhea at the same time. Could just be IBS maybe?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.