SMALL THYROID TUMOUR RE- APPEARED AFTER 4 YRS

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had FNA procedure on my thyroid  tumour 4 years to now (Fine Needle Aspiration) under ultrasound and they drew a cup full of oxo like fluid as I had refused a full thyroidectomy having been told I had an 80% guarantee of no cancer BUT now the tumour has returned and slightly larger, had an ultrasound 2 months ago but not a biopsy FNA as yet - has anyone had more than one FNA drainage procedure as at 75 I am terrified of a full Thyroidectomy as my Brother died of MRSA at our local hospital, I know its stupid but that's me, worry myself sick as have no family or friens to turn to and housebound because of herniated discs. Would appreciate someone's advice. Many thanks, TINA

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

That's awful to hear that about your brother. It's outrageous to lose people to such a thing in this day and age. I haven't had your procedure but am interested in following this thread because I have an large Goitre I am currently having re-investigated and thought only surgery was an option and I was told that it was only for "cosmetic" reasons they would remove it. Which seemed crazy to me as I'd lose my Thyroid.
    • Posted

HI GISELLELOUISE, THANKS FOR REPLYING DARLING, MUCH APPRECIATED. AN ENLARGED GOITRE ON THE THYROID GLAND IS WHAT I HAVE, I THINK THEY CALL IT A COLLOID OR CYST WHEN IT IS TINY AND THEN A GOITRE WHEN IT BECOMES MORE NOTICEABLE. THEY LIKE TO REMOVE IT IF ITS AFFECTING THE BREATHING OR MAKING YOU CHOKE ON FOOD. I HAD MINE DRAINED AND THE COLLOID SHRUNK WITHIN WEEKS AS THEY INJECT ALCOHOL I BELIEVE WHEN YOU HAVE THE FNA PROCEDURE. HOPEFULLY I CAN HAVE THE FNA AGAIN WHICH IS A BIT PAINFUL BUT BETTER THAN HAVING THE GLAND REMOVED IF I HAVE CANCER, I AM A COWARD AND WORRIED SICK. ALL THE BEST MY DEAR, ENID X
    • Posted

Hello Giselle,

I read your post, and I know your following this thread, so I would like to ask you how long have you had your goiter, and do you know the measurement?  I am not a surgery advocate, but it did save my life.  I wouldn't jump to surgery, but if you have an endocrin surgeon, the consult was incredibly informative for me.  If all labs are normal, and it's not hard to swallow, and your labs are great Trust your instincts.  Mine were (multinodular) encroching the esophagus, and food was very difficult to swallow.  My largest nodule had suddenly grown from 3.2 cm to 5.5.  My labs all normal, FNA normal.  I didn't give a hoot about the cosmetic issue! I went with my gut as my surgeon gave me options.  Sorry yours didn't.  Good Luck

• Posted

Dear Enid,

I would like to ask you if they found any cancer cells in your first procedure, or was it a cyst tumor.  I just had a thyroidectomy because my nodules grew suddenly and quickly.  I even had a FNA and it was clear of Cancer.  I still chose the surgery, and I am a post life support patient of one month!  I knew I would regret it, if there was cancer hiding.  I did take probiotics, good ones for 2 months prior to my surgery, which helps your immune system. Not everyone gets MRSA, but I understand your fear.  

I am happy I overcame my fears and did the surgery 3 weeks ago.  There was a carcinoma hiding, so it saved my life.  I have 4 grandbabies @58 years of age, so I have no regrets.  Even If I had no family, I love life and its beauty.  I hope you have a good endocrinologist who can refer you to the endocrin surgeon, and have a long consult with her.  I did and during that consult, she performed her own ultrasound, and did labs for testing me for Hashimoto's disease, and autoimmune disease, which came back positive.  So my overactive immune system was attacking my thyroid!

My prayers are with you, keep me posted.  

Teri

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.