Small Voids

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I wonder if anyone notices small voids like me. Not all the time though, it seems to come and go. I had a small void today at 1.30pm then I had three drinks between 1.30pm and 5.30pm equalling about 750ml. I went to bathroom at 5.30pm and I bet my void was only 100ml, not much more. Yet other days I can have a decent void after only two drinks. So why such a small void after 750ml, I don't know. I then start worrying that I am retaining as surely my body hasn't used so much liquid. However the bladder nurse has scanned me though not recently, and says I am emptying my bladder properly. This has been going on, along with uretheral urgency anxiety and soreness for a year now. Part of my problem is health anxiety. I panic at even the slightest thing not seeming right and think something terrible is happening. Sorry to be a pain.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shirley  your not being a pain. The main thing is you have seen a bladder nurse which is reasuring and your emptying your bladder ok.  You mentioned soreness, is this in your uretheral erea? This is where ive had my discomfort to the point i was convinced i had an UTI and so did my gp, Infact was given 2 lots of antibiotics only to find out afterwards there was no infection so took two lots over two weeks for nothing!  Sorness and feelings of burning continued regardless.  Now ive bought some special probiotics for women that actually help in the vaginal area and some gel which helps with soreness and irritation. Pm me if you want details, doubt ill be allowed to mention them hear. 

May i ask your age?  may have something to do with your anxiety, im 66.

By the way all my irritation and sorness has gone now, drink plenty of water and cut down on sugery stuff.

I also found being constipated greatly aggrivate the sensation everywhere else for some reason too.

Sue x

• Posted

Hi Susan556

I are a man @ 72 yrs old and I to have a problem with not drinking enough water as I normal have 150 to 200 ml's in morning and the same in pm but it takes all day before I go toilet then it only dribbles out , And it hurts to get started and it stops & starts  and the urine smells real bad  as if the ureather isn't flushing proply  .... So do  I drink more yes  I  do but even at 11 pm going to bed there is only about 100 ml's in bladder but after 3 hrs sleep I get awaken with full bladder and so on till morning  The Dr put me on doxazosin to widen the urthera .

Cherr's David49122

• Posted

Hi Susan, Thanks for your kind words. Yes at least my bladder seems to be emptying ok according to the bladder nurse and also following an ultrasound I had with a urologist too.

Yes my soreness and burning is in my urethera. It seems to lead to urgency feelings, especially if I am anxious. Sorry to hear about your being on anti biotics for two weeks only to find there was no infection. I will pm you later about the probiotics and gel. Thanks for suggesting that. I am 60 by the way, only a month ago. Great to hear all your irritation and soreness has gone. I have been drinking more water of late. The sugar is a bit harder and will need working on. Interesting that you mention constipation too as I have suffered that in the last month too. However the uretheral soreness etc has been ongoing for a year now. I will get back to you later as I have to get ready to go out now. Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Shirley:  I had a serious UTI that turned into sepsis and was hospitalized. I did not have symptoms of a UTI so i have no idea how long I had it. I know i drink alot of water and take Vitamin C, none of which prevented the UTI. while in the hospital I developed urinary retention and required catherizations.  it was awful.  However, when I was discharged I seemed ok.  Then, a week after discharge i could hardly pee at all. I was freaking out; i went to one urologist who told me i had a yeast infection which was causing the problem ( it wasn't).  I did need to be cathed a few times. i then went to a urologist who did a thorough exam and told me my cystocele was causing the problem.  However, since then i have been able to pee fairly normally although there is still some hesitancy.  Like you, I note how much I pee ( 100 cc's, or whatever): i think what is important is that it does not matter how much you pee at a particular moment; what matters is how much you pee over a 24 hour period: do you measure it?  I might pee very little at one given moment and  then pee alot more at a later time. as long as you are peeing between 500 and 1000 cc's a day, you will be fine. I understand the anxiety and panic: i have it too if i pee just a little sometimes; the fear of having a return of urinary retention is very anxiety producing; there isn't a much worse feeling than not being able to get rid of urine that is sitting there. I also have another problem: i often feel like i have to pee, but i really don't.  that is not pleasant.

• Posted

Hi Marilyn, Thanks for your message. I am busy now till late tomorrow afternoon so I will get back to you later tomorrow. Thanks again.
    • Posted

Hi Marilyn,. Really sorry to hear about you having a UTI that turned into Sepsis and you were hospitalised and had such an awful time. Then you found you could hardly pee at all a week after discharge! It really was a very tough time for you wasn't it.

Yes last year I got into the habit of measuring my voids. I did stop for a while but I am back doing it again. I think that you are right. It's about how much we are peeing over 24 hours isn't it. And yes I am peeing between 500 and 1000ml a day. Yes the fear of having retention returning is very anxiety provoking isn't it. I always dread that when my voids are low. I too have feelings that I need to pee when I don't really. No it's not pleasant at all. However my worst problem is the urgency and anxiety. Really gets me down.

• Posted

Hi Girls ,

Yes you are right about how much we drink a day I was told that your body was 90%  fluid and if you don't keep the level full you won't funchin proply .And you need at least 4 litres per day of water  ,,Well yesterday I had 2 to 3 litres and I had a pee at 6 pm ,9 pm & 12 midnight and only released aprox.... 100 mils per pee So the rest is still in my body and so on during the night ever 3 hrs up for pee Now If I feel dry and want a drink well it's to late I should of had a drink 1hr before I get dry . Can I ask a question to the panal  is there a Doctor that reads all of this corospondance or is it only read by us and we give our opiouin  My apologies I can't spell . Have you heard of Klinfelters Syndrom or for short 47XXY  If you haven't look it up on net 

David49122

• Posted

I don't think it's as much as 4 litres a day unless you live in a very hot country may be or you are working or exercising hard or something. In average conditions, for a person of average weight/size I think it's about 2 litres or 2.5 litres a day although it's hard to pin it down to an exact need for everyone of course . I don't know if a Doctor reads this or not. Also, I don't have an infection right now but it usually takes me a weeks worth (21 tablets) to get rid of any infection. 5 won't touch any infection I get.

• Posted

That right shirley 84100 I thought the Dr was talking out of turn It normaly takes  two weeks to remove any infection male or female  I would of though . Yes hight and weight would have a bit to do with How meany liters you comsume  .Where do you live Shirley ?
    • Posted

Yes I would say at least a week to remove any infection. Or that's how it always is for me anyway. I drink about 1.5 litres a day and up to two if the weather is hot. Probobly that's not enough. I am on Merseyside.

• Posted

Hi Shirley 84100

Just a quick measage  If you have to have antoboitic for infection  5 pills is enoiugh to get bug in controll for a female But for a male it has to be a course of 10 days to get in controll this came from my Dr ....

David 49122

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.