Smashed finger with hammer

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello

Two days ago i smashed my finger with a brick hammer while breaking cinderblock at work. i didnt hit it straight on but more kind of grazed it and ripped the skin off and smashed the side of my nail. File size is too bigi have been using ice on it, the swelling has gone down some and is starting to fell better now. Im just worried that the nail might fall off and it will take a while to heal. im going to post a photo let me know what yall thinkimageimage

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

As the nail has not bruised and is not going black I think you may not lose it. That is a very nasty gash. You need to keep it clean and covered to prevent debris and bacteria getting in to it. Thoroughly wash your hand with just soap and water and gently dry. Put a tiny blob of something like Savlon cream on it and then cover with a clean piece of lint. Tape it and maybe get a finger stall to cover it.Do this once per day for 3-4 days then continue the washing and dressing daily but stop the cream and let the area dry.

That should be enough. If your finger starts to swell,go red or throb,then see your doctor. If any redness spreads to your hand you need antibiotics straightaway.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.