Smashed Fingernail?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Two days ago I smashed my finger in two poles of a portable whiteboard (very specific, I know) and underneath my fingernail has turned purplish blue. It's not as bad as some I've seen, but I'm curious to know if the nail will fall off. It's a small area and the bruise has started to fade. I've been elevating and icing it. And if it does fall off, does it hurt?

Thank you!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If its a really black bruise under the total nail then the nail may fall off and its not usually painful,because the nail will gradually detach from the nail bed, but as you say it is starting to fade and only a small part you may have only partially damaged the nail bed .    You will have to wait for the nail to grow out naturally and it may partly detach. Keep it cut as short as possible. If it becomes a problem then tape it down with elastoplast during the day so that it doesnt catch and tear off. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.