Smear

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there, I have now got a smear test invite! I am still sore down below and even if I wasn't, I'm not sure I could get my legs into the right position for the smear as one hip is bad and the other hip is recently replaced! I usually have my smear tests and one test 20 years ago resulted in them finding abnormal cells that had to be removed in the operating theatre! But I don't see how they can give me a smear in this condition. Anyone had a smear test with VA? What a bind?!!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am guessing that "smear" is the same as "pap" test in the USA.  I have had pain for years in the annual exam after Menopause.  My most recent test was just done after 3 months on Premarin vaginal estrogen cream.  The doctor said it would take a few months for improvement in tissues to begin.  And there was less pain so I look forward to further improvement over the year.  The doctor for years has inserted a very narrow instrument normally for children.  After age 65, pap tests are no longer recommended if you have had normal pap tests in recent years (not sure how many), but Medicare insurance pays until age 70 so if you can do it, probably a good idea.

• Posted

Shirley ive found it, look under Cervical Smear and Disorders section on hear.

Sue x

• Posted

Hi Shirley i havnt had a smear test with VA and i wouldnt either, last time i had a smear test was five years ago and its my last too, flipping painful, never again.  personally id definatly wait till till your soreness had gone and what to do about your hip is a problem indeed. Other countrys now give urine tests im sure instead of the pap test? and then only if that shows something up they investigate further.

There is on hear a lot of discussion on  under pap or cervical smear tests section where it was explained how needless  and invasive they really are. Hopefully the lady who explained this will come back on with the details for you.

Sue x

• Posted

Thanks everyone for your comments. Much appreciated. Susan, I will look in the cervical smear and disorders section. Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.