Smear Test !!! Do I have one or don't I ??

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Basically a few weeks back have been having very bad period cramps , went to the Dr she gave me meds (which helped a little) still had this pain in my tummy area, back and sides .. Felt like I was desperate for the loo , but hanging on when I'm not ...

Anyways went back to drs and had swabs to be taken , to make sure there is no infection ... Well what a horrendous experience , she put the thing in , well I was in so much agony i punched the wall and I said something ... The Dr changed the equipment and it was still as painful , my eyes was streaming with tears ... She told me I would have to arrange a Smear Test with the nurse ... Only trouble is can't deal with that agony again ... I had smear tests before and it didn't cause this amount of pain .... Did any of you have this amount of pain and how did you cope ? ..... I am worried cos not sure why it's so painful .. sad

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Anita

A smear test or pap test is an elective screening test for women with NO symptoms, if you're having persistent and unusual symptoms, you need a proper investigation, not a screening test. 

Many/some women find pap testing very painful, especially older women. Of course, most of it is unnecessary, 95% of women aged 30 to 60 ARE HPV- and cannot benefit from pap testing, and you can test yourself for HPV easily and reliably with something like the Delphi Screener...no need for a speculum exam.

The ONLY women who should be offered a pap test are the roughly 5% who are HPV+ and aged 30 to 60. 

So many women endure pap testing when they're not even at risk from cc.

I don't know how old you are...but you should also, know that women under 30 are not pap tested or HPV tested under an evidence based program, the sort found in The Netherlands and Finland.

So if you're worried about symptoms, you need to get a proper assessment, not a screening test.

Best of luck...

• Posted

Yeah I'm 38 Years old ... I was going wait until the tests for infections come back ., and take the necessary treatment ... It may be less painful , if the results came back normal ... I'm not sure about having the test or not ..
  • Posted

Just an update really .. The swabs came back as borderline 😢😢😢 and have to go through the agonising procedure again ... I told the receptionist that I cant possibly do it again it's far too painful ... She said said so you are refusing to have it done again ... Sighh , dunno what to do ...
    • Posted

Anita

If you're worried about cervical cancer and want to test, but can't face the speculum exam, why not buy a HPV self testing kit? You can buy them online, you can then test yourself and if you're HPV-, then at least you can forget about pap testing and cervical cancer.

If you're from the UK you could buy Tampap or get the Delphi Screener from the Netherlands. (there may be a local distributor, we have someone local now here in Australia)

Then you just have to decide if you want to speak to someone about your cramps/symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.