Smear test - Where have I got the HPV Virus from?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi,

I'm 53 years old and have just had the results from my smear test with positive HPV cells as a result. My last smear test was 12 years ago and all fine (I dont think they checked for HPV back then).

I have been with my husband for over 35 years and I'm concerned where this HPV has come from? I have never cheated or slept with anyone else only my husband in the last 35 years. Does it mean he has been unfaithful? I've read that it can be from previous partners up to 10/15 years ago however weve been together for over 35 years so how would this even be possible????

I'm not concerned whether he has cheated or not I just would like the truth for peace of mind for myself that's all.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Like you said, they never checked you out for hpv back then. Its possible he cheated, its also possible you have had it this whole time, either from him or a previous partner. HPV can be present but stay dormant, in fact most people never even find out they have it. you can have it but your pap smear comes back normal because your immune system is strong enough to fight off any cellular changes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.