Smell from my penis..

Posted , 9 users are following.

This is ridiculously embarrassing but I just want some advice. Basically for ages now my penis has smelled quite bad.. Like a fishy smell.. I don't have any other symptoms like pain when I pee, no increase in frequency of peeing, nothing hurts when I'm using it, no discolouration, no patches, no spots etc.

I wash frequently and wash my private areas a few times a day. But it doesn't seem to matter how good I wash it, the smell doesn't completely go, just doesn't get as strong. Can anyone recommend any creams for it, any advice? Can this be common for men of my age? (I'm only 22). It's making my sex life become alot more awkward for me with my girlfriend and unfortunatly I can't see a doctor right now as I'm working away from home for weeks. Thanks everyone.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good evening my young friend.  It does happen to some men  You do not say if you are cut or uncut.  I did a little looking on the internet and found out that it can be ether from poor hygiene or a skin infection.  Being you said you wash twice a day.  It can't me hygiene.  If you are uncircumcised your for skin has to be pulled all the way back and wash with soap 2 times a day.  The fishy smell is like a women vagina.  A man can get this smell after sex because he picks up the bacteria.   Now also the doctor said that it can also be the mans own body odor and he will have to use a pleasant smelling lotion or deodorant.  Good look.  You can also maybe spray a cologne down your pants before you meat up with your girlfriend   Ken         

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I am uncut, and I pull the skin all the way back and usually wash it was just clean water as I've heard washing it with soap can be a bad idea. Although I have tried soap before and have had no reprocussions and if anything it did work a little better. But still, the smell still remained. I've spoken to my older brother and he said it could be thrush and to apply a cream to it but I thought thrush would create more problems that just a smell?

• Posted

If you can get a mild soap.  But to make sure it's not a infection see a doctor when you can  Good luck  Ken

• Posted

Sounds like it could be some kind of skin infection.  Have you had std screenings? Ensuring it’s not one of those? I assume there hasn’t been any discharge? Or changes to your semen, colour/ smell etc.  It’s purely the skin that smells?   

• Posted

I haven't been screened for an STI but yeah I have no other symptoms at all it's purely the smell. It's mainly the skin under my foreskin that smells which is common but it shouldn't stay there after I have washed the area which is what makes me worried

• Posted

Ok. And you’re able to pull the skin all the way back and clean properly under there??   It sounds to me like a bacterial infection.  I would suggest visiting a doctor when you can for them to swab the area for a diagnosis and appropriate treatment. 
    • Posted

Yeah I can pull the skin back no problem and clean it fully under there. Im happy to go to the doctor but I gotta admit I've never had any sort of check like that before and I realty don't fancy anything put down me if you know what I mean haha. I know it's gotta be done at some point though. I'm happy to have things done outside my penis so a swab of the area wouldn't be a problem but I can't stand the thought of anything going in there haha

• Posted

I’m not a medical professional,  but I’m pretty sure they’d only need to swan the external skin. If that’s where the smell is coming from.   Honestly don’t worry about the tests. Just a see a doctor when you can. All the best. 
  • Posted

Are you circumcised? That may be an isssue. My ex boyfriend was only half circumcised because he bled too much during the procedure. And he became prone to catching yeast infections and sometimes had a fishy smell. I’m not sure if men can get them when they are circumcised... I’ve heard, but not straight facts. 
    • Posted

No Im not circumsized. Don't really want to either but I have considered it if it can help down there. I have cut my 'banjo' before ages ago but that healed up fine and has just left a little scarring

• Posted

I think you should be more concerned about fixing the issue than the type of exam you get. Yeast (Thrush) can be just smelly with no other symptoms. Since you've had the smell for ages, I would definitely see a dr rather than go over the counter because you may have more than one strain of yeast. Also, I would wash with a baby soap if that area is sensitive.

Good luck

• Posted

For the first 50 years of life, my penis smelled fine, clean smooth no issues.

Then gradually smell entered. A slight to strong urine smell.

Once my chiropractor after having her head down in my mid section having to make a back adjustment said:

YOU ARE DEHYDRATED.

I don't think that is the cause, but I drink more water.

Nightly normal erections cause a bit of pre-cum, or fluid from the Cowper's Gland to lubricate the urethra. So in the AM, my dick was sticky. Also, on the side of normal hang.

I shower in PM and AM.-

Solution.

When I am shaving, I just swab the last bit of shaving cream downstairs. In the shower it comes off.

You have to use enough friction to be squeaky clean. Obviously you have to peel back every-time. My foreskin is not tight.

I also spray a weak solution of Boric Acid on the whole shaft. Everyday in AM.

Then I cut all hair really short or shave completely.

Total solution.

• Posted

I just noticed you said you are not circumcised, question is, -- can you slide your foreskin back?

There are ways to widen the opening of your foreskin. Some stretching you can do.

You should go to your doctor, that's what they are for. And they can give you some cream, might be steroids??? which helps loosen the skin.

Then clean very well. You should have no white cheesy smegma left. If there is some, just gently rub it away. Avoid harsh soaps.

• Edited

Ive had the same issue my entire life I'm not circumcised, either. I clean myself well when I shower and go so far as to use the stall when I urinate so i can clean any excess urine with tissue before I'm done. Even after that, I still struggled with a smell after a while. After trying everything I could I found a routine that works better than anything else. After I shower I pull my foreskin back and completely dry my penis with a blow dryer. This eliminates moisture and helps reduce the opportunity for bacteria to grow and smell. once I'm "bone" dry, I take baby powder and rub a little around my entire groin. My scrotum and penis both end up with powder on the outside. lastly, I pull my foreskin back and rub baby oil on my shaft and head. Put enough for it to all be covered but not so much that its uncomfortable when you put your skin back over the head. The powder will absorb sweat throughout the day and the oil will absorb and neutralize the smell of any small amount of urine that stays behind after you use the restroom. I still make sure to clean myself as best as possible after using the restroom by using a piece of tissue to wipe off any left over urine but the drying completely, baby oil, and baby powder, have worked wonders. I keep a travel size baby oil in my pocket as well. If anyone asks I just say its for my knuckles or something. Check with your partner but my wife can have sex with me even with the baby oil in and it doesn't irritate or bother her. Good luck buddy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.