Smelly gas like sulphur and rotten eggs

Posted , 200 users are following.

Hi all. So embarrassed but don't know what else to do. I actually am getting seriously depressed as It Is so bad.

I have been getting really bloated and pass the most foul smelling gas ever, it stinks and lingers in the room. I'm having to air my bungalow every evening.

I eat relatively healthy, excercise regularly and am slim.

This has been going on solidly for 2 whole months. I have tried eating different things but i just keep getting this awful smell! Sometimes I feel like I'm going to shit myself!! I can't have people over and am scared to go out when I know I'll be in a small space. I gave up my job!!

I have had to do a stool sample, all clear. The doctors just say I have IBS. They gave me colofac (mebeverine) which did nothing! I don't know what the hell to do!!

PLEASE HELP

13 likes, 291 replies

291 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

You might have Celiac disease and an intolerance to carbohydrates. Try changing your diet to see if that helps. I think you should see your GP again to get tested for allergies.

• Posted

Celiac may be, but you can't be intolerate to all carbs. Any professional will tell you that non refined carbs are essential body fuel. Give up all carbs and you've not much to live on . Even fruits and veg are largely carb. If you mean carbs contain gluten like celiac or refined carbs like pastries cakes ECT, then yeah I can see why that may be an issue. But it's not possible to be intolerant to all carbs.... you wouldn't survive

• Posted

She may mean issues with FODMAPs. I 100% had the same issues and discovered the Monash Institute after being diagnosed with IBS. Certain carbohydrates pass through the intestine without proper digestion and then ferment ... causing bloating and gas. There's an app. It's a thing and significantly improved my life.

• Posted

Hello, sound like you have a food allergy. Try going off Gluten, or ask your doctor for a coeliac marker blood test, which is a guide. Also probiotics do wonders for body smell including smelly feet!!
  • Posted

Hi Jenny I came across your post and was wondering if you've found any answers? I am a 27 year old female and am having the same issues as you and it's literally destroying my life. I feel I've tried everything 
    • Posted

Have you tried the said charcoal tablets? I see they're OTC. I'm desparate for a resolution on this too!
    • Posted

What worked for me was giving up animal products. I became vegan a few months ago and have not had the problem since👍
  • Posted

Have you tried the said charcoal tablets? i see their OTC. I'm pretty desparate; having the same issue
    • Posted

Hey! I just got some yesterday and they have seemed to make no difference whatsoever...I've tried so many different diets I don't know what else to so
  • Posted

I got the same issue , I have heard burned my GP refer me to GI , I take a lot every kind of medication for acid reflux, it 'keep making my life so worse, I' ll try the way everyone here do, thank you
  • Posted

I also suffer from this problem. I am on a strict dairy gluten wheat free diet with a couple of yrs now and it still happens. I also take a probiotic every day. And it still happens, even with my diet I wonder what I am eating to 

Cause this. I must get the charcoal tablets and try them. 

• Posted

im the same way i take nexium in ahigh dose and its making other things really bad for me, my bones always hurt alot, im so depressed because of this flatulence stinky problem i will be forever single because of this problem sad
  • Posted

My husband and I both have this problem from time to time. My doctor told me that anemia could be a contributing factorvand to try and get more iron. I also notice I get gassy like this when I don't eat very much for a few days and then eat a hearty meal. 
  • Posted

Hi jennyjames. I can definitely say that I have suffered this problem for many years. I know exactly how you feel. I can completely identify with you. It is SO embarrassing! I could not control when the horrendous smell would come. I finally got to the point where I had to do something about it. I decided to take action and eat completely gluten free! It has definitely helped me. How are you going with it?
    • Posted

hi this is taking over my life and im very worried, the other day i went to the movie theater with my son and was scared to even breathe because i was so gassy and afraid to fart and that horrible smell would come, but its so bad that even if i dont expell it i feel it pushing its way out ! its horrible and im very deppressed, i cant socialize or live anormal life because of this ! the worst part is i had a fundoplication for my acid reflux which makes me even more gassy !! sad  im so sad dont know what to to sad what did you cut off from your diet specifically? thank you
    • Posted

Hi Claudia,

I had a fundoplication 6 weeks ago and the stinky gas started as I returned to eating more normal foods. Thinking about it, trying cake and bread may correlate with this gas... It is one of the known side effects from the surgery so could just be a thing. I will check with the healingwell forum i found and ask some of the other post surgery folk.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.